7.3 codes

cornbinder7.3

Reaction score
Hi I checked for stored codes in my 2001 7.3 today because when I really put foot in it check engine lite comes on, they were P0478 and P1211 is that something I should worry about, I have a 4inch banks exhaust and a wicked wheel on turbo and a 6 pos tuner, the thing runs well Thanks

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
As Arisley stated, your P1211 is from HPO not meeting the demand. That is what is causing your light to temporarily pop on. It is not hurting anything, but it is an indication you are not making the power you could be making.

It could be from worn injectors, weak HPOP, tuning, or a combination of the three.

cornbinder7.3

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info, it only seems to come on at around 30 pounds of boost and above, I have a boost relief valve from Dieselsite on the truck, thought that was to take care of that stuff

Arisley

Reaction score
Nope, that takes care of the overboost code and overboost defueling. If you hit 30 lbs. of boost to often with your stock charger, it will not live long.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
As Arisley stated, your P1211 is from HPO not meeting the demand. That is what is causing your light to temporarily pop on. It is not hurting anything, but it is an indication you are not making the power you could be making.

It could be from worn injectors, weak HPOP, tuning, or a combination of the three.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the P1211 could also trip the CEL if the tune calls for high HPO. The tuner could make tripping the P1211 less sensitive.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, some tuners turn it off, however, I want that code left there though. I want to know if my HPOP can't keep up with demand. Now the overboost is a different story. Kill the defuel for overboost and kill the defuel for when your truck hits 100 mph, I kinda like the light for overboost. Instant feedback that I just passed (and in most cases passed it in a hurry) 30 lbs. of boost.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but the P1211 could also trip the CEL if the tune calls for high HPO. The tuner could make tripping the P1211 less sensitive.

Billy T.
[email protected]

You can call for whatever you want in the tune. The P1211 will throw only if actual ICP cannot keep up with what is being commanded. A tuner can widen the gap before the code will throw though. Most tuners do this because with a higher mileage stock Super Duty, it is very common to not be able to keep up with what is commanded in even mild HP tunes. Split shots are really oil hungry, and worn injectors just add to the problem.

Very rarely does a P1211 throw because of excessive oil pressure. I have actually never seen it throw due to that. That will usually throw a P1261 or a P1282. The only time you should ever have excessive ICP pressure over commanded is if you are having something such as an IPR problem.