Lower EGTs

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I never said that it wouldnt lower I said the cost to benefit is not there, which I think your numbers are supporting. The WOT ones stock chargers and a race tune I bet. Well the chargers can't use that fuel.
I had one thought it would help out with towing it did some but not for the price. All will get heat soaked while towing.
The intake charge goes down with an atmosphere or (all I can comment on) the 73/59 swap. My EGT's towing on a higher tune went down in comparison to towing with the stock chargers and same intercooler. After the chargers I had to really try and get the EGT's up there.
The biggest thing with these truck towing is RPM. Everything increases and if he is going to tow then I think the intercooler is a waste of money in comparison to a charger swap.

footlong70

Reaction score
I never said that it wouldnt lower I said the cost to benefit is not there, which I think your numbers are supporting. The WOT ones stock chargers and a race tune I bet. Well the chargers can't use that fuel.
I had one thought it would help out with towing it did some but not for the price. All will get heat soaked while towing.
The intake charge goes down with an atmosphere or (all I can comment on) the 73/59 swap. My EGT's towing on a higher tune went down in comparison to towing with the stock chargers and same intercooler. After the chargers I had to really try and get the EGT's up there.
The biggest thing with these truck towing is RPM. Everything increases and if he is going to tow then I think the intercooler is a waste of money in comparison to a charger swap.

I totally agree with you for the most part. And yes, larger drop in chargers will yield significantly more hp and lower egts over an intercooler upgrade hands down. But that's an apples to oranges comparison.
However I don't see the intercooler getting heat soaked much if your continuously cruising and at highway speed towing or not. As long as ambient air is pushin through its cooling a lot. I have actually checked this when towing. I always put my hand on the center lower portion (inlet hot side) of the intercooler to get an idea of the cooling capability when I pull over for a break. The temp by feel is actually a warmish-cool to luke warm, far from hot. And the odd time I've popped the hood and felt the top side of the intercooler and its always cool-icy cool, it always feels colder than ambient air. I know that's not all that scientific but its all I need know. Stop and go traffic is a different story obviously but even when it comes to heat soaking intercoolers, I'd rather have the intercooler with more surface area, depth and no plastic which further insulates temps.
Ive done the same doing quarter mile runs and after the first or second run it heat soaks quite a bit.

The other thing I should mention for some guys is that having an open/not so restrictive grille/bumper helps a lot too. Choose your grille wisely. Also driving with the stock grille/bumper using those stupid stainless/chrome inserts during the summer months is ridiculous. They look tacky and starve the intercooler/rads of fresh air.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Heat soaked was probably the wrong term to use. IAT is better. Boost at a higher PSI for a longer period, none of the intercoolers can keep up. Stock or aftermarket. Ex. 28000# range up a 7+% grade for a miles. Now this was not a problem anymore with the larger atmosphere. The stock it was, which is when I added an intercooler. It did help but not that much, still had to watch the gauges towing on a street tune from more than one tuner. Put the 59/73 on the truck, not worried about gauges, that changed to the transmission. The entire truck ran cooler actually. EOT, ECT and EGT. Trans well it didn't like the added power and Morgan fixed that one.

d.evil

Reaction score
SCT or MCC device? On SCT the 'Hot Street' puts me into temps like that also. On 'Street' I pretty much peak at 1250°F

I use MMC through a MM. Now that I think of it, I don't think I was fully on the floor when I noticed the high temps. I'm betting WOT would help as more fuel would cool it down a bit...?

Latest posts

Members online