True trac install

mpowerstroketwins08

Reaction score
How difficult is it to install a true trac in the rear end. I'm no mechanic but I have lots of time to install myself. Or should I just take it to a mechanic. Any special tools needed?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

footlong70

Reaction score
To an experienced hand that has setup rear ends before, its pretty straight forward and simple but a little time consuming to do properly. For someone that hasn't done one before, and has to ask how hard or what tools(I mean NO offence either), I wouldn't recommend trying without a significant amount of research prior. Tolerances, specs, patterns are very crucial to prevent rear end failure. Its very easy to fry a diff, especially when you rockin +1000 ft/lb at the wheels towing/racing.
At the very least you'll need Sterling/Ford 10.5" specs/tolerances, a press, bearing pullers, case spreader (not required but extremely helpful to prevent shim damage and proper preload), 1/2" click torque wrench, small dial style torque wrench to read +0 inch/lbs, dial indicator w/ stand, caliper gauge, brass punch, long punches/race drivers, pry bar, handful of basic hand tools, loctite, marking compound, shim kit, crush sleeve, bearings... A couple of those you may not need as long as your pattern doesn't warrant pinion removal and reshimming. Most likely you won't need to remove the pinion.
Pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, backlash, gear contact pattern, carrier bearing preload, bolt torque must all be within spec. It's a trial and error process, typically it takes few trys to get everything right. It's nothing hard to learn, but is a process with little room for errors.

Also if you having any thoughts of regearing, now is the time. Save yourself a lot of time and money opening them up once.

Last edited:

mpowerstroketwins08

Reaction score
That sounds more complicated than I thought. I was hoping for un bolting and throwing in and rebolting together. I'm just Going to take it to a shop. Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.