Lower EGTs

ohiostroker95

Reaction score
Im trying to get some lower egts out of my truck while towing and was wondering the best way to do so. Looking at doing a Mishimoto intercooler and intercooler pipe kit. Or do the intercooler pipes and a 72mm atmo turbo and do the intercooler later. Or do the intercooler and pipes now and do the turbo later.

d.evil

Reaction score
Well I've got the intercooler, hot and cold side pipes and I hit fuel cut when I stand on it for more than a few seconds. Gear head street tune. 1400* is where I have defuel set. Got a 72mm atmo sitting on the shelf, but want to do studs before that goes on. Hoping that will help bring the temps down. Idk what else to do. I love the tune, no smoke runs great awesome power just gets a bit toasty. No way I could do a full pass on that tune without hitting defuel.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Lower EGT's. Put either a 72 Atmosphere Turbo or similar. Or just do them both and get like a 72/59 Combo. Will run nice and the EGT's will stay down. Intercoolers don't really help as much on these trucks as with the past generations.
I would do the intercooler pipes and a charger swap. Talk with Mike at No Limit.
I had a 73/59 on my 450 when I had it and the truck was an absolute monster towing.

ohiostroker95

Reaction score
I think right now for what the budget will allow im gonna do the 72 and a no limit air intake right now. Then come back to the intercooler and the pipes

sootie

Reaction score
Lower EGT's. Put either a 72 Atmosphere Turbo or similar. Or just do them both and get like a 72/59 Combo. Will run nice and the EGT's will stay down. Intercoolers don't really help as much on these trucks as with the past generations.
I would do the intercooler pipes and a charger swap. Talk with Mike at No Limit.
I had a 73/59 on my 450 when I had it and the truck was an absolute monster towing.
:whs: do a 72/59 combo and a no limit cold air intake and cold side pipe. i would be shocked if you break 1400 on a race tune.
I think right now for what the budget will allow im gonna do the 72 and a no limit air intake right now. Then come back to the intercooler and the pipes

intercooler is a waste of money...

tbsimmons

Reaction score
With the bigger atmosphere I feel the intercooler didn't help that much. The EGT's would still climb towing on me. Not bad but for the price to benefit I didn't think it was worth it after the Atmosphere.
With a built trans and head studs you will be fine.
I towed on GH Tuning and most of the time was on the Hot Street or the Street tune and I was grossing the 28-30,000 range. Truck was a beast.

f350guy

Reaction score
Well I've got the intercooler, hot and cold side pipes and I hit fuel cut when I stand on it for more than a few seconds. Gear head street tune. 1400* is where I have defuel set. Got a 72mm atmo sitting on the shelf, but want to do studs before that goes on. Hoping that will help bring the temps down. Idk what else to do. I love the tune, no smoke runs great awesome power just gets a bit toasty. No way I could do a full pass on that tune without hitting defuel.

SCT or MCC device? On SCT the 'Hot Street' puts me into temps like that also. On 'Street' I pretty much peak at 1250°F

Anyone seen decent drops with 6.0/BD manifolds?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I put the manifolds in with the Chargers. I bet they work at some back pressure drop but dropping EGT I bet it its negligible.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

footlong70

Reaction score
intercooler will lower temps, as well as a ported intake manifold. this is from back to back driving with and without.

Agreed, I did same day, same roads, same temps, same everything, cruise controlled before and afters at all speeds, took down egt averages throughout, and did see a drop throughout. Not huge but a drop none the less. My old thread is on nation. Stock turbos/basic supporting plumbing upgrades at the time.
..............Stock Intercooler l AFe Intercooler l Difference
50km/h........400f....................390f............. ....10f
70km/h........525f....................500f............. ....25f
110km/h......800f....................760f............... ..40f
WOT Peak....1800f..................1710f.............. ..90f
Idle.............250f....................245f..... ............5f

Also I would think that with larger atmos or compounds, the intake charge temps would be increasing given the larger air velocities and higher pressures throughout the rpm band. The added surface area, depth, shape, materials of aftermarket intercoolers should compliment larger turbos more so than stockers. Without a doubt a drop-in turbo upgrade will drop egts significantly more than an intercooler, but I wouldn't count them out.

Latest posts

Members online