6.4 questions

MasonF

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here and signed up to ask a few questions about a truck ive been thinking of buying, let me start off with i currently own a 09 lmm ccsb duramax thats has all options minus a sunroof, and i do love my truck. However in a couple months i have the chance to buy a truck ive always liked, its an 08 ccsb lariat f250 4x4 with of course a 6.4, it has right around 190k on it but the guy that owns it takes extremely good care of his vehicles. Now to my question the goal for the truck would be a 650-700hp truck, i really only drive on weekends as i have a company vehicle to drive on weekdays, those of you that own a 6.4 what would it take to get the 6.4 to that level and be somewhat reliable, id assume its atleast studs, get rid of the restrictive piping that may or may not have emission equipment in it, a lift pump, built tranny, injectors and turbo? What does this normally cost? And on the last note would you trade a lmm duramax for a 6.4? I really like the idea for the straight axle, big cab, round fender wells and that i could eventually build the motor if need be because I dont have to drive it everyday. Sorry for the long winded post just wanted some firsthand knowledge

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
I would trade in a heartbeat but that's me. To meet your goal you will need very few items. The 6.4s can make power with few bolt ons when other makes require more. All ******s, cold air intake, good tunes, and a atmo turbo upgrade or even a 59/72 drop in turbo upgrade. That's gonna meet your goals and you wouldn't need to do any fuel or tranny mods. This is all depending on the driver and your right foot of course. If you really wanted extra insurance all the above plus springs, studs, pushrods, maxxforce rocker assembly's cold and hot pipes. And just because, always keep check on the lower fuel filter and keep water drained frequently. Always run motorcraft filters, good fuel with treatment, and good oil. I did all this before I went big and never had issues. I enjoy the 6.4s so much I'm going back to one which happens to be a dream truck lol. Sorry for the long post but maybe everything will work out for ya

MasonF

Reaction score
I had read most of that sticky but thank you for pointing it out to me as i read it again and it made more sense the second time around, on the other note i guess i was really asking more about what to look for and what would need work to make it a reliable truck. And im sure it will, the duramax is paid for and the guy that owns the 6.4 wont sell it till its offered to me first. I just needed some other guys that own them to convince me they are fine trucks

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Many horror stories on the 6.4's. I love mine, but I have done all the reliability mods during my rebuild so I expect that it will last a very long time now.

I honestly think it's like anything else on forums, you rarely hear about the good stuff and only the bad stuff is mentioned.

Once properly modded, you'll have a fantastic truck. Good luck.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
As mentioned, I would just drop in some factory appearing 59/72 chargers.
Was one of my favorite setups on stock fuel.
I'm sure one of the sits vendors could hook you up, Midwest, RCD, Elite, Barder ect.
Trans will live for awhile depending how much fun you have with the newfound power, Also gear-head tunes will help it live.

sootie

Reaction score
full deeleets, no limit intake and cold side piping, gear head tunes, factory appearing 59/72-75 drop in turbos, headstuds and traction bars. clean, powerful and reliable setup-should be high 600s.

i love six fours but there are a few inherent issues you will never get away from ... hpfp failures & lifter failures

MasonF

Reaction score
I assume the gear head tunes are loaded through a tuner like sct stuff? I come from efilive everything of course so i love the fact of custom tunes but if they are what is the best one to use for loading them preferably on the fly and maybe have some gauges in it? I see the sct livewire and the h&s is there any specific one thats better?

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
That's how mine works. Not sure how the newer stuff works, but I have an older SCT livewire and it had 3 canned tunes on it. I then added 3 custom tunes from idp on it. I switched to kem and loaded those on the SCT over the idp stuff.

As far as which ones best? Everyone has their opinion. I used my sct to monitor for years, but now I have an edge insight cts2 that I like a lot.

f350guy

Reaction score
I really like my 6.4 and all that, but I would be very leery of trading your known solid vehicle for an unknown with nearly 200k. Not your Duramax for this Powerstroke specifically, but in general.

While mine was under warranty new, I had all services performed at Ford and have all of these receipts. I halfed the OCI and performed my own at 5k (and sent oil samples to Blackstone then), then the dealer did it at 10k along with fuel filters. Yes, it cost me a pile more, but whenever I had an issue, there was zero questions for the vehicle to be covered under warranty. I had an EGR cooler poop and something was amiss with the HPFP.

If he takes 'extremely good care' of this truck, he should have records out the ass for it like I do. If not, walk away fast. A lifter failure or cracked piston will spiral out of control easily to the tune of $15k plus. Seems to me lifters **** the bed due to oil dilution (in addition to rocker wear)...which is due to the regeneration of the *** and infrequent oil service.

I straight piped my truck at 9000 miles after three regens in one tank of fuel. That was enough of that ****. The pipe, an old SCT (with IDP street tune), and EGR block off plates were my only mods for years. Yep, I kept the stock air intake assembly and crushed IC pipe. Discussed this over with the service management and why, they were okay with it as I used the truck for work.

In any event, good luck with whatever you choose.

MasonF

Reaction score
Put a cummins in it
:rockon::poke::swordfight:

Haha yeah if i wanted one of those id go buy a dodge. To many of them around here and i drive one everyday for my service truck so i get enough dodge in my life as is , And i really appreciate all the help guys, but i think the big thing is i know already it might have problems and ive been saving up money anyways for the duramax to build it, so even if it did crap the bed i wouldnt be to heartbroke over it. Working on them is part of the fun!

Latest posts

Members online