Cracked or burnt piston?

Shafer171

Reaction score
This honestly has me puzzled and I'm hoping some of you may have some input. I posted on the nation as well but not getting much feedback there. Bottom end of engine is intacked and all seems as it should be. Hi pressure turbo is shot and as you can see the oil pan blew completely off but nothing hit it. When pulling the turbos I did don't the tube for the ebp sensors had worn a small hole in it. I'm leaning towards a cracked or hole in at least one piston and the back pressure from the turbo blowing blew the oil pan off? I will know for sure this weekend when I get the engine out and pull the heads off. Truck is ******* tuned with the 275 file and the normal mods. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 242

webb06

Reaction score
an oil pan doesnt just blow off. theres like 20 bolts holding it on. looks like a rod came out the bottom of block. have you stuck your hand in the oil pan to see what you can pull out?

Shafer171

Reaction score
Yes I have nothing hit that pan the crank and rods are all fine the truck would even turn over and run. I can assure you the pan did just blow off.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Excess crankcase pressure would push out a rear main seal or something else long before it just blew the oil pan off. Either someone loosened all the bolts holding the pan and they rattled out or something hit the pan with a lot of force.

Shafer171

Reaction score
I know the picture is not that good but you may be able to see the pan pulled so hard that the bolts pulled through the pan and the bed plate broke around the perimeter.

78f100

Reaction score
There is no way crank case pressure got that high to blow the pan off, the glow plug harnesses would have blown out releasing the pressure first. Something broke, you may not see it yet but something definitely broke.

78f100

Reaction score
Keep us posted when you find what it is, I am very curious. I have seen lots of failed 6.4s but never seen one drop the pan like that. Is the upper oil pan still in? Or did it come down also? Take a pic of the bed plate when you can also, good luck with it man.

reed001

Reaction score
my guess would be that you had an excessive amount of diesel fuel fill your engine crankcase. somehow someway that diesel fuel in the crankcase exploded. the fuel was hot from the engine running...even the fuel vapor could have exploded. something along those lines is all I can think would cause the oil pan to blow off without anything hitting the pan from the inside or the outside. I would think that excessive crankcase pressure from a hole in the piston would have cause the glow plug harnesses to blow out....had to be some sort of violent catastrophe to cause the oil pan to blow off

nighthawk285

Reaction score
my guess would be that you had an excessive amount of diesel fuel fill your engine crankcase. somehow someway that diesel fuel in the crankcase exploded. the fuel was hot from the engine running...even the fuel vapor could have exploded. something along those lines is all I can think would cause the oil pan to blow off without anything hitting the pan from the inside or the outside. I would think that excessive crankcase pressure from a hole in the piston would have cause the glow plug harnesses to blow out....had to be some sort of violent catastrophe to cause the oil pan to blow off

^^^^This. IF there's truly no broken pieces this is where I would look. We actually just had this happen at work with a Cat 3406D in a dump truck because it had 3 leaking injectors, and the "mechanic" didn't want to do them, so he would just change the oil when the level got about a half-inch over the full line. He let it go too long during this last "interval" and boom, it blew the oil pan right off, created a huge mess, and scared the chit out of the driver. Your oil pan looks like its ballooned as well, one of the telltale signs.

These guys are right, there's no way EBP did that....there's too many other places that would leak that kind of pressure first by pushing past seals, etc. That was a single, large, pressure event.

I'd still look for a cracked piston or at the least a leaking injector....but that isn't EBP related.

And MORE PICS PLEASE!!!

golfer

Reaction score
...gonna say a pin hole or crack in piston.

even 10psi in a 12"x12" oil pan...is 1440 POUNDS on the pan/pan bolts...

awesome tho!

Reaction score
I'm with Dave on this one. I feel as it cracked i n half under boost and put a lot of pressure in there .

Hell in the reg cab I was on the dyno when it let 2 loose ! Buckled the pan as well .

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Good job! Not everyone can say their truck blew up so had it blew the oil pan off! I would guess fuel vapor explosion as well because i can't see how anything else would have done that without pushing every seal in the engine out first.

Shafer171

Reaction score
I'll have the engine pulled on Sunday, sorry not sooner but gotta make some money I have a feeling this is going to get expensive

6.4f350

Reaction score
I'll have the engine pulled on Sunday, sorry not sooner but gotta make some money I have a feeling this is going to get expensive

It's a 6.4 with parts literally falling off of it... Prepare to open your wallet as far as it will go.

Shafer171

Reaction score
I am prepared to spend a lot and my wallet isn't the only thing I've thrown at it lately. I don't believe nor have I that ebp caused this I think I have whole in a piston like stated above. I also am thinking that the turbo blew as a result of the seensor not actuating the Vgt as it should two in related problems. I may be wrong but that's the direction I'm going in until it on the stand and tells me something different. Sure do wish I had a shop the truck wild fit in id be working on it right now.

Latest posts

Members online