Front cover replacement?

ford141

Reaction score
So, I'm doing head gaskets and studs on my 08 right now. I just pulled the water pump last night and this is what I found...

ynu4epy9.jpg

There is some minor pitting on the lower right and what looks like score marks all around it. Would you replace this cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08RED4x4

Reaction score
If you already have off , might as well replace and be done with it. If it was me I would just to have peace of mind.

Gearhead

Reaction score
They changed to a thicker cover for less chance of a porosity leak anyway. If i had an engine without issues broken down to this level i'd replace the front cover...lol

ford141

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number for the front cover? I'm having a hard time finding one on the Ford parts site.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I replaced mine while I had the cab up, heads off. We run em hard, Turin lots of rpm. Hate to find coolant in your oil a year later... $450 bucks.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I read somewhere from a Ford tech, engineer, or something stated it was low nitrates in the coolant that cause the cavitation. You are supposed to check it and if it is below ie:800ppm then you add nitrate and if it was below ie:400ppm then you flushed and readded coolant. I don't recall the numbers, hence the ie.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I'm sure your info has some weight to it.. Sounds like a lot of work tho.. The other was to keep the cavitation from happening and ruining your cover would be the Evans waterless coolant. See thread in 6.4 aftermarket section.

Latest posts

Members online