Comp 910 Springs Good Enough?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Building my compound turbo set-up as we speak. Aiming for 80 PSI final boost pressure max.
Will these un-shimmed Comp Cams 910 Valve Springs hold up? I literally just put these suckers in and would hate to buy new ones. :doh:

GreenF350

Reaction score
Doubt it. It's the drive pressure numbers that usually matter (although there's nothing wrong with taking the intake valves into consideration too). That, along with installed height/seat pressure will give you a good idea whether or not they will do what you need.

-Aaron

97stoker350

Reaction score
Def not if your planning on 80 psi. Shimmed I think you can only get about 120# seat pressure. You will probably need to look at a beehive or competition valve spring. Irate and swamps both have sets just to name a couple

bruce

Reaction score
There's math to figure out how much seat pressure you'll need. I'm too dumb to know it off the top of my head though. Why you didn't shim those 910's is beyond me though.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
There's math to figure out how much seat pressure you'll need. I'm too dumb to know it off the top of my head though. Why you didn't shim those 910's is beyond me though.

That's a very good question.

So my options are Irate Diesel Performance, Swamps Stage 1 & Stage 2, Shimmed 910s, or Black Widow Performance?

Which one should I go with?

V-Ref

Reaction score
i'd call swamps and ask them how much seat pressure you'll need then go from there

Here's a great post to read from the man himself that Bruce is pointing you towards. I added the emphasis on the highlighted sentence in the quote below.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=312749&postcount=7

the popping at high rpm hasn't anything to do with valve float...that is from tuning...and the video of the import is also purely tuning...those turbo cars will have the spark timing very retarded to light off the fuel mixture IN the exhaust manifold to spool the turbo

Too much injector pulsewidth at high rpm causes the FDCS signals to overlap, and the PCM will cut PW (to 0.6ms on every other signal) to prevent signal overlap.

symptoms of valve float are: loss of boost, loss of power & piston to valve contact (usually resulting in broken rocker arms &/or bent pushrods)

our valves typically don't float from "rpm"...but are more likely to float from boost/drive pressure exceeding the seat load of the valve.

The back of the valve is approx 1.5-1.6"...so if you were running 60psi of boost for example...you'd have 113 "pounds" trying to open the valve, with no aid from the rocker/cam.

the factory specs are 71-79lbs of seat pressure @ 1.833" installed height, for both I&E valves...so the factory valves will try to open (with no consideration to rpm) with just under 40psi of boost.

the higher the boost...the more seat load you'll need to prevent float...but it's calculable, for the most part. boost multiplied by 1.88 should give you a ballpark seat load...

HEUI trucks shouldn't have to worry about the rpm side of things.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
That's a very good question.

So my options are Irate Diesel Performance, Swamps Stage 1 & Stage 2, Shimmed 910s, or Black Widow Performance?

Which one should I go with?
No, or if you read the I posted it has all the part numbers and everything you'll need for comp beehive springs that run the same as the other springs you named and they are half the cost.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
No, or if you read the I posted it has all the part numbers and everything you'll need for comp beehive springs that run the same as the other springs you named and they are half the cost.

Didn't even see your link. I just read through it. Did you ever find the proper lower seats?

James at Barder Turbo is running 910's shimmed @ 75-80 PSI boost.
Spoke with Swamps, they wanted me to go with stage 2 springs. $500 is a lot for some springs.

Looks like the beehive option above is the best.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.