Installing new TQ converter should i go thru the trans?

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
You mentioned MTS Diesel, is that who you got the EPC solenoid from? Is it just a stock solenoid or is it modified? I can't tell from the description. It's cheap compared to most I've seen.

http://www.mts-diesel.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=195

Yes the EPC was a modified stage 2 from MTS, if you talk to them they can set the EPC to a higher pressure, stage 2 was the most streetable they recommended its also the same one they use in there top built trans unless the customer request something different

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Did you get codes when those solenoids went bad?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No, but i wouldn't say they where bad, the new stage 2 EPC solenoid raised the internal hydraulic pressure which is constantly higher now and can not be manipulated by the TCM below what it is set at. My truck is a early production 07 job 1 so i think it benefited more from solenoids. The new RCD converter performed flawless before the solenoids, the solenoids eliminated the 3rd-5th shift flare i had after i fixed the converter issue, and i really like the fact that the shifts are always crisp and firm due to the hydraulic changes where running before with just tuning, the tuning seemed seemed to get lazy the more the TCM started learning and making adaptive changes. Don't get me wrong this still happens but the base pressure is still high enough to prevent the trans from ever getting sloppy shifts. Hope that makes since...lol I'm not a trans guy..........

gambling209

Reaction score
just curious, did you ever have the rev-slam problem? if so did these addtions change anything? that is my main complaint for my 08.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
It would seem so but here is another thought I have had. Because a stock trans can not lock as hard if you will and can slightly slip I think that is the key to not breaking hard parts. I have broken an intermediate shaft, two input shaft's and a converter. Until this most recent trans I have never had a trans slip on me. I want to go find a good core that hasn't been trashed and rebuild it with all new stock clutches and steels and stock converter or a well known used one not Suncoast. Some billet hard parts and see how it runs, how it tows, and how long it last.

You don't count, you gotta 450. Kiddin aside, I wonder if this ain't a 450 thing. Corbin's old 450 started going thru trannies after the stock one died. Last I heard, he never did get it figured out. I think he ended up selling the truck. Your theory sounds reasonable, but I ain't sure if it will hold true for a SRW 250 or 350.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up, little over 25,000 miles since i put the converter in with no issues. I think its safe to say i came out ahead just doing the converter and not the whole trans.

Latest posts

Members online