brute 66 and hybrids

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
Looking at a brute 66 with my 238/100s. I will be installing a banks technicooler which has the intercooler to go to stock obs plenums. Should I upgrade the plenums with a stepped up boot? can you get an upgraded end for the banks kit?

Thanks

Swaan

Reaction score
Oh maaaaaan!!
Annnnnnd here we go again. Let's hear it for all the 66 drop in haters. ��

old man dave

Reaction score
Looking at a brute 66 with my 238/100s. I will be installing a banks technicooler which has the intercooler to go to stock obs plenums. Should I upgrade the plenums with a stepped up boot? can you get an upgraded end for the banks kit?

Thanks

Banks only makes the 2" ends for the OBS. Their SD kits reuse the factory compressor manifold adaptor so you would be limited to a SD style turbo or 38R.

You can use 2"x3" step-up boots but you may have drivers side turbo clearance problems depending on which 3" intake plenums you use. Stock SD plenums need a slight denting of the rear corner to fit on the driver's side. The flat plate style may fit. The billet aluminum ones do not fit on the driver's side.

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
Oh maaaaaan!!
Annnnnnd here we go again. Let's hear it for all the 66 drop in haters. ��

Dyno proven says 40psi and 600hp it's attainable with their turbo. I've heard alot of doubt about this so what's the deal? Is Jonathan bat **** crazy or can it be done because a drop in turbo and DIY bellowed up pipes is a hell of a alot cheaper then a t4 kit and s366. I'm not building a race truck, just a solid 500hp daily driver.

JD3020

Reaction score
Dyno proven says 40psi and 600hp it's attainable with their turbo. I've heard alot of doubt about this so what's the deal? Is Jonathan bat **** crazy or can it be done because a drop in turbo and DIY bellowed up pipes is a hell of a alot cheaper then a t4 kit and s366. I'm not building a race truck, just a solid 500hp daily driver.

One of their guys actually posted that they put up flywheel HP, even though they are on a chassis dyno. So knock off 20% and a little more, and you have about what a D66 will make at the wheels. Over 500 and you're really pushing it since its still a stock turbo, bearings can't handle it. I ran one and hated it, but opinions may vary.

Honestly if you want a D66 call up Barder Turbo's and see if they still offer the DIY stuff, i think it was $700 for everything. IMO its highway robbery for what DP, Beans, and the others charge for a D66.

fordman67

Reaction score
them stixxx are mighty salty for that lil turbo. it might work but if you tow much its not going to last long I would be willing to bet.

not a hater....

I figured out how to fix that question for me personally

:rockon:

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
them stixxx are mighty salty for that lil turbo. it might work but if you tow much its not going to last long I would be willing to bet.

not a hater....

I figured out how to fix that question for me personally

:rockon:
Looks nice!!
Whatcha runnin there? 468fmw?

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
Every article I read about a d66 or drop in all had 3.55's witch sucks in the first place to have . towing a 7k boat at highway speeds lugs too much in od egts go up put of over drive he's screaming the R's .. He has just a chip with a 1.0 housing

Has anyone ran a drop in with 4.10's? To actually get it to light.

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I know James still makes the diy kit. Its basically a 38r wheel. He knows his turbos .. Look what he did for the 6.0

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
One of their guys actually posted that they put up flywheel HP, even though they are on a chassis dyno. So knock off 20% and a little more, and you have about what a D66 will make at the wheels. Over 500 and you're really pushing it since its still a stock turbo, bearings can't handle it. I ran one and hated it, but opinions may vary.

Honestly if you want a D66 call up Barder Turbo's and see if they still offer the DIY stuff, i think it was $700 for everything. IMO its highway robbery for what DP, Beans, and the others charge for a D66.

Are you referring to us when you say DP? If so, we do not recommend or carry a D66 turbo. A lot of guys have issues (spool, smoke, EGT's) with them when running larger sticks. We have run into this multiple times over the last couple years. Billy (gnxtc2) is a prime example and he will back me on this...

To the OP, IMHO you should look at doing a T4 or T4i style setup. A modded H2E would work good, or we even carry the Bell HFSB that would work great. Both are T4i style turbos.

Reaction score
Every article I read about a d66 or drop in all had 3.55's witch sucks in the first place to have . towing a 7k boat at highway speeds lugs too much in od egts go up put of over drive he's screaming the R's .. He has just a chip with a 1.0 housing

I know what your saying about the 3.55s, but it doesn't suck anymore with the right turbo

Honeydew_OBS

Reaction score
I had one on 4.10s, still smokey and laggy like everyone else said. I could hit 1400 easily on an onramp if I wasn't careful, I ran them with 160/80s but I couldn't imagine how hot it would get with hybrids.

ghohouston

Reaction score

You wanna talk about "screaming the r's", my truck in sig has 4:10's. I live in Texas, highways speed is pretty much 80 everywhere you go. At 80 mph with 4:10's and a zf5, my truck is at 3,000 rpm's. I would trade those gears for 3:55's in a heartbeat.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

Thanks

If you are dead set on a Brute 66, I have a brand new one, never installed with a billet wheel for sale. You are 85-100 miles depending on the route from me and we could meet up if you want to buy it. PM me for details.

Are you referring to us when you say DP? If so, we do not recommend or carry a D66 turbo. A lot of guys have issues (spool, smoke, EGT's) with them when running larger sticks. We have run into this multiple times over the last couple years. Billy (gnxtc2) is a prime example and he will back me on this...

:jammin::jammin::jammin:

Billy T.
[email protected]

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I love 4.10's had them in my dodge and now my ford.bone stock I went from north haven ct to beautfort sc on both tanks..filled up went to Daytona.. I get good mpg. My 6.0 with 3.73's I'd burn a tank going to Orlando and back from s-fl.

Latest posts

Members online