Where's the key for spare tire

nick0360

Reaction score
I want to install my 5" dual flo pro and need to remove spare tire but I guess there's a key??? Anyone know where

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
It should be in the glove box or center console. Mine was with the book, in the glove box.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
^^ WHS

If it's MIA you will have to go to a dealership and have them use their master set to figure out which pattern your truck has.
And figure out which pattern it is and don't buy it from ford, it'll be more expensive. The diesel tech told me to go through MCGARD which is the company that makes the spare tire key. Their number is 1-800-444-5847

The tech told me to make sure I specify that I want the stubby one of whichever patter it is.
Hope that helps you out! Or anyone in the future lol.

pjcinmi

Reaction score
Look in the jack handle case thingy. That's where the P.O. stored it / I found it on my used truck.

Levitc88

Reaction score
Or you can just cut the stamped bar that holds the spare in place. Then unbolt the winch from the truck and remove the piece that requires the special "key". Then it will accept the square end of the jack handle, like the old ones use to. Weld the stamped bar back together from when you cut it. Bolt it back on the truck and your done. That's what I did on my 6.4. But too, where I live you don't have to worry about someone stealing your spare either. Just another option for you maybe...

Bronc937

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Ford has about ten different spare tire keys for any given model year and they wanted $75.00 just to lower the tire for me. no thanks.

Found a post on the internet on one of the ford truck forums where it described using a craftsman #10 or 11 extractor socket to get around the keyed insert. This allowed me to lower the tire which will give you access to the whole mechanism. From there I pulled it out and took off the special keyed insert on the shaft. Super easy! Now it works with just the tire rod and I didn't have to cut any cables or break anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts