zf6 oil

ibestroken

Reaction score
Ive read so many mixed reviews on this so im starting my own thread.

I am about to service the zf6 in my tow rig. The truck hardly is driven empty and mainly has a load behind it. What do the others with hand shakers recommend running?

Also they hold a little over 5qts when draining and filling correct?

Thanks

co04cobra

Reaction score
I've ran several different kinds but really like motorcrafts stuff the best.

I'd buy at least 6qts.

Reaction score
I used synthetic Mercon V with a bottle of lucas stop slip, I think it was about six quarts. Its been in there for over a year now and its shifts really well.

psduser1

Reaction score
Schaeffer alltrans. When I put in my midwest reman, Dan recommended over filling by about a qt. Of course, you'll have to do that by pulling the shifter and boot. I added a 6l oilcooler at the same time, I think I used 7 qts, all together. Seems to be working :thumbsup:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Schaeffer alltrans. When I put in my midwest reman, Dan recommended over filling by about a qt. Of course, you'll have to do that by pulling the shifter and boot. I added a 6l oilcooler at the same time, I think I used 7 qts, all together. Seems to be working :thumbsup:
Did Dan recommend the Schaeffers too, or just the overfill? I've always wondered about the 6l cooler idea especially when Charles was complaining about smoked fluid a while back while towing heavy. Seems like a better cooler and larger volume of fluid might have a significant impact. How's the gear rollover?

psduser1

Reaction score
No on the brand, yes on the overfill. We run sheaffers at the farm.
I ran the cooler by dan, he didn't seem to think it was necessary, really. I had one, and it isn't much to put it in. My truck takes a lot of abuse, figured it wouldn't hurt.
Not sure what you mean by " gear rollover"?
It shifts crisply, but I've got a big heavy towing clutch, so it's not "fast", lol.

ja_cain

Reaction score
No on the brand, yes on the overfill. We run sheaffers at the farm.
I ran the cooler by dan, he didn't seem to think it was necessary, really. I had one, and it isn't much to put it in. My truck takes a lot of abuse, figured it wouldn't hurt.
Not sure what you mean by " gear rollover"?
It shifts crisply, but I've got a big heavy towing clutch, so it's not "fast", lol.
Cool. No local distributers of Sheaffers here but may order some when I go to service it. Gear rollover is the low speed growl some of them make down low. Maybe your Shaeffers is quieting the rollover.

bigwheel

Reaction score
How do you like the sheaffers in your zf6? I need to do a fluid change out and have been thinking about that. I don't think it is spec for the zf. You put the same in the t-case? I know some guys are running the Amsoil MTF.

psduser1

Reaction score
How do you like the sheaffers in your zf6? I need to do a fluid change out and have been thinking about that. I don't think it is spec for the zf. You put the same in the t-case? I know some guys are running the Amsoil MTF.
Seems to be just fine. I'm running it in the t-case, also.
ja, I get a growl at 24-29 mph, in 4th gear. Drop to third at that speed, or speed up, it goes away.

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's probably it. I mostly get it while creeping through parking lots. It doesn't really bother me anymore but would be cool to find a good fluid that muffled it a little.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I know mines a zf5, but I went from using the mercon to the Red line MTL, muffled the growl ALOT
I've heard the redline mtl seems to be good stuff in the zf. Thanks for reminding me. Heard of guys running that with the lower vis d4 and having good results too. Glad to hear it muffled the growl.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, growl still exists, just quoted it down a lot compared to the mercon, also lowered the rpm had to be at before growl was noticeable

psduser1

Reaction score
Didn't over fill either... What was Dan's reason for overflowing exactly

I think just to keep more of the gear train in oil. Apparently these have much tighter tolerances than the older style manual transmissions.
It's been a couple years since I've talked to him.

Reaction score
I was told once that the growl was caused mostly by the clutch/pressure plate(s) vibrating (single mass). My dads zf6 did it until the day we pulled it out a swapped a BTS in.

Latest posts

Members online