FICM Shootout - Tuned, 48V, and 58V

KEM Performance

Reaction score
A lot of customers have been asking what the benefits and gains are of the different FICM options for a 6.0L, well... thanks to Tom and Dan at the Powerstroke Connection, we have dyno plots to share. Dan lent us his 2004 6.0L truck for use in the testing. He has a fair amount of mods and is running our KEM race tune. Tom provided us his DynoJet (non Eddy current) dyno for the test. We set out to see what the gains/numbers were for the following:

Stock 48V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 48V FICM
Swamps 58V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 Swamps 58V FICM

The FICM calibration used was ARZ2AH10 which is an Inductive heat calibration. The test was run with the same truck, same dyno, and on the same day, no trying to compare different vehicles in different configurations. The FICM swap was done on the dyno, no unstrapping.

Now for the results!

First test - Swamps 58V versus a 48V FICM both flashed with ARZ2AH10.

Below 2750 RPM, the Swamps 58V FICM has more power and torque, above they are identical in power.

48V58VStock.jpg

Second Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 48v FICM versus a stock 48v FICM.

A 43RWHP max gain with a max torque gain of 137 to the tires!

KEMTunedvsStock48.jpg

Third Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 58v Swamps FICM versus a stock 58v Swamps FICM.

Since the Swamps 58V FICM started higher than the 48V FICM, the max gains when tuned were slightly lower at 41RWHP and a torque gain of 112!

KEMTunedvsStock58.jpg

All of these runs were done on a non loading dyno. If testing were to have taken place on an Eddy current dyno, numbers would have been higher.

The custom FICM tuning not only benefits those stock injector trucks with added power, but also can eliminate some drivability issue associated with trucks that have larger injectors(we make the files to your truck specifics).

Presently to get your FICM tuned, it needs to be sent to us for a bench flash. In the very near future, we will be releasing our all in one flash tuner! It will flash not only the PCM and the TCM but will also flash the FICM with our custom tunes! This tuner will also function as a monitoring display device with a suction cup windshield mount. More information to follow.

Mike

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Good stuff Mike, thanks for sharing ARZ2AH10 is the latest ficm calibration correct?

Snake

Reaction score
This is by far the best information I've seen on tuned FICM's. Thanks for taking the time to test and share the results.

Just went back and took another look at the sheets........what a difference in torque between 2,000 and 2,500 rpms on the second graph!

Last edited:

KEM Performance

Reaction score
Good stuff Mike, thanks for sharing ARZ2AH10 is the latest ficm calibration correct?

No, ARZ2AH11 is the latest ( For a 2003 engine) but the difference between the two is with the inductive heat shut off temp which I change anyway.

Mike

smokinstroker

Reaction score
the KEM ficm flash was one of my favorite mods, and i have ran all 3 different ficms available.
the power is just awesome, if a graph doesnt show it, drive a truck with one, it sold me instantly.

mike was also a great guy to deal with, plenty of time for you no matter how many questions you have.

golfer

Reaction score
thanks Mike~

looks like our 58 volt unit added the 40 or so hp down low and midrange...and your tuning made the difference above 2500rpm, where the ECM was shortening up the inj PW.

very well done...

Reaction score
This was definitely a fun test. Although I have to say from running KEM's FICM tunes for quite some time, we knew they were much better but the results were very surprising!! Thanks Mike! It was a blast!

chappy

Reaction score
Why does the 48v tuned ficm show slitley more peak hp and tq then the 58v tuned ficm? That seems kind of weird. Nice to see a real power gain out of a tuned ficm though.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Mike what are your thoughts about the 58v FICM's...are they worth it? Also, what kind of FICM tune would you recommend with a set of 190/75% injectors that my truck has? Do you only recommend a race FICM with larger than 190cc injectors?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Mike what are your thoughts about the 58v FICM's...are they worth it? Also, what kind of FICM tune would you recommend with a set of 190/75% injectors that my truck has? Do you only recommend a race FICM with larger than 190cc injectors?

:whs: i'd like to know as well. i have 190/100's and a pmax and am very interested in ficm tuning but I have no idea what direction to go. and what is the approx cost?

Gearhead

Reaction score
So are these tuned FICMs simply adding PW and timing everywhere or are they removing limits of what can be commanded timing and PW wise?

Triple H

Reaction score
Thanks guys for testing those combinations. That is some great info and I'm sure for the most part will make peoples decisions easier and eliminate some guess work.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
A lot of customers have been asking what the benefits and gains are of the different FICM options for a 6.0L, well... thanks to Tom and Dan at the Powerstroke Connection, we have dyno plots to share. Dan lent us his 2004 6.0L truck for use in the testing. He has a fair amount of mods and is running our KEM race tune. Tom provided us his DynoJet (non Eddy current) dyno for the test. We set out to see what the gains/numbers were for the following:

Stock 48V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 48V FICM
Swamps 58V FICM
KEM Custom Tuned Stage 1 Swamps 58V FICM

The FICM calibration used was ARZ2AH10 which is an Inductive heat calibration. The test was run with the same truck, same dyno, and on the same day, no trying to compare different vehicles in different configurations. The FICM swap was done on the dyno, no unstrapping.

Now for the results!

First test - Swamps 58V versus a 48V FICM both flashed with ARZ2AH10.

Below 2750 RPM, the Swamps 58V FICM has more power and torque, above they are identical in power.

48V58VStock.jpg

Second Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 48v FICM versus a stock 48v FICM.

A 43RWHP max gain with a max torque gain of 137 to the tires!

KEMTunedvsStock48.jpg

Third Test - KEM Stage 1 Tuned 58v Swamps FICM versus a stock 58v Swamps FICM.

Since the Swamps 58V FICM started higher than the 48V FICM, the max gains when tuned were slightly lower at 41RWHP and a torque gain of 112!

KEMTunedvsStock58.jpg

All of these runs were done on a non loading dyno. If testing were to have taken place on an Eddy current dyno, numbers would have been higher.

The custom FICM tuning not only benefits those stock injector trucks with added power, but also can eliminate some drivability issue associated with trucks that have larger injectors(we make the files to your truck specifics).

Presently to get your FICM tuned, it needs to be sent to us for a bench flash. In the very near future, we will be releasing our all in one flash tuner! It will flash not only the PCM and the TCM but will also flash the FICM with our custom tunes! This tuner will also function as a monitoring display device with a suction cup windshield mount. More information to follow.

Mike[/QUOte

awesome info.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.