Anti theft light blinking fast NO START

PSD

Reaction score
Owned my 6.4 for about 6-7 months now and have been having this problem recently wight the anti theft light.

Ive been doing research and can't find and legit answers. Only way I can get it to go away is letting it sit for a few hours and I come back and it starts first try (knock on wood).

Where do I start?

78f100

Reaction score
Key most likely, do you have both originals? If so try the other key. It could be the pats module, or the key transceiver also, if you know anyone with a ids they should be able to tell you what's going on. Sometimes reprogramming the key to the truck will fix the issue.

PSD

Reaction score
Key most likely, do you have both originals? If so try the other key. It could be the pats module, or the key transceiver also, if you know anyone with a ids they should be able to tell you what's going on. Sometimes reprogramming the key to the truck will fix the issue.

I only have one key with NO keyless entry. You think maybe if I flip the key? Haven't thought about that

78f100

Reaction score
It's doubtful flipping the key will help. It reads from a ring receiver around the key lock cylinder.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
go to a locksmith and get two keys programmed ASAP before it strands you!

with two PATS keys you can program more yourself

JMart

Reaction score
Hold old are the batteries in the truck? As a locksmith for 6 years I have seen a low battery issue causing more problems with the PATS lights then I have seen bad PATS keys. But you should have a spare key made anyway. $200 cost if you lose that one versus $50 if you have one and need a copy.

PSD

Reaction score
So it seems like the keys are where my issue is? Batteries are getting old

sootie

Reaction score
when the truck wont start, turn the ignition on and start it using the jumper wire by the rh side battery. that will clear the pats system.

78f100

Reaction score
On my wife's old explorer I had to reprogram the keys every time the battery died. Idk why on some trucks the pats module seems to get confused when voltage is low. I have seem a few that starting it from the starter wire would clear it like sootie said.

PSD

Reaction score
On my wife's old explorer I had to reprogram the keys every time the battery died. Idk why on some trucks the pats module seems to get confused when voltage is low. I have seem a few that starting it from the starter wire would clear it like sootie said.

I could see the voltage thing being an issue but why when I come back a few hours later it starts first time?

sootie

Reaction score
Where is this jumper wire?

it is a bullet style connector laying on the innerf ender behind the passenger side battery. pull it apart and jump the starter side straight to a positive terminal

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
it won't start with the PATS flashing... the engine will just crank forever. the ECM won't allow the engine to fire without the PATS verification

PSD

Reaction score
I may have figured out the issue using the jumper wire but ill update when I'm certain

PSD

Reaction score
UPDATE

So a few times that it has happened i unplugged the starter wire by the passenger side battery and plugged it back in and it worked.....

Sometimes that doesn't work though. I noticed that when the blinking light does its thing that all my gauges EXCEPT my coolant temp wont read.

When the truck starts up without issues the coolant gauge reads normal.

What now?

Thanks

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'd start by checking the main harness bundles in the driver fender well area.

If they look fine, you can try unplugging/re-seating them, as well as the two main connectors on the firewall mounted PCM.

It's at least a place to start :eek:

Latest posts

Members online