Stumped on a 6.4 no start, any help greatly appreciated!

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
So you've tried cam and crank sensors from know good running engines?

You initially said it tried to fire then quit. Maybe try pulling all the GP's and cranking till there is a fog of fuel from most/all the holes and re install the GP's.

Could just be air locked injectors.

This will also let you know wither or not you even getting fuel to the cylinders.

Why was the motor rebuilt in the first place?

Matt_P

Reaction score
Looks like I found the issue. Took it to ford and had the PCM updated. Fired up and ran but loped real bad and had no throttle. Cam and crank kept going in and out of sink. Pulled the oil pan off and turned then engine over and sure enough the dam tone ring is slightly bent in in one space causing all these issues the whole. How the thing got bent I have no idea. I dont know if it got dropped at the machine shop or what but guess its time to put another crankshaft in.

sootie

Reaction score
Looks like I found the issue. Took it to ford and had the PCM updated. Fired up and ran but loped real bad and had no throttle. Cam and crank kept going in and out of sink. Pulled the oil pan off and turned then engine over and sure enough the dam tone ring is slightly bent in in one space causing all these issues the whole. How the thing got bent I have no idea. I dont know if it got dropped at the machine shop or what but guess its time to put another crankshaft in.

exactly what i thought the issue was!! i dont know if it is necessary to change the whole crank. When it happened to me, i think just the tone ring got changed.

Matt_P

Reaction score
exactly what i thought the issue was!! i dont know if it is necessary to change the whole crank. When it happened to me, i think just the tone ring got changed.

Yeah this is a first for me with having a bent ring. I have a core engine sitting here I just figured it might be quicker since those tone rings arent weld on,

sootie

Reaction score
Yeah this is a first for me with having a bent ring. I have a core engine sitting here I just figured it might be quicker since those tone rings arent weld on,

mine got tigged on...

Bigboytoys

Reaction score

Uhhh .... SBYL....

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, i hust got done with it. Ford paid me twice though as their chitty ass shipping bent yhe first one. Once its gone though, its easy to forget about it, until the next time you put a crank in there will probably be a straight edge on the wheel LOL. :thumbsup:

Matt_P

Reaction score
Yeah, i hust got done with it. Ford paid me twice though as their chitty ass shipping bent yhe first one. Once its gone though, its easy to forget about it, until the next time you put a crank in there will probably be a straight edge on the wheel LOL. :thumbsup:

Haha yeah out of all the 6.4 and 6.0s over the years Ive done full rebuilds on this was a first for me. And your exactly right a straight edge will be on there from now on

webb06

Reaction score
Can you snap a pic of the bent area. Just to see how much of a bend it takes to throw off the sync signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk