Way too much smoke...

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
EBP sensor and tube is on the driverside, you will see it when you look down at the back side of the valve cover. Clean the tube out, clean or just buy a new sensor.

How does the exhaust sound at idle like a hair drier or a deep rumble?

Exhaust sounds like a deep rumble. And I will work on the EBP, not a whole lot of places to get the hood open and check chit out down where I'm at. Thanks everyone for all the input and help

08Monster

Reaction score
Exhaust sounds like a deep rumble. And I will work on the EBP, not a whole lot of places to get the hood open and check chit out down where I'm at. Thanks everyone for all the input and help
If it sounds like a rumble at idle your VGT isn't cycling. Bingo.

Rubenk

Reaction score
x2 On the something else is wrong. Not a tuning issue because the hd300 does not smoke cruising down the highway at constant speed. Sounds like a boost or an up-pipe leak. Even when your totally confident nothing is leaking, something tends to be leaking.... Seen it so-o many times. The only real way to check imo is by pressure testing from the lp turbo inlet against the pistons with the engine off. Then you get a total idea of the boost side of things. I've seen significant leaks from intake manifold to heads, bolt holes in the intake manifold, turbo crossover piping, turbo compressor cover o-ring, boots (not tight enough, hard to see rips), v bands, pipe ports missing plugs, ect... As far as the exhaust side I'm sure you already know to look for soot, but even then its very easy to miss or not see anything out of the ordinary.

How do you test that?

footlong70

Reaction score
Boost leak testing kit. Which is essentially, a handful of different size round plugs (3"up to 4" or 5" in 1/4" or 1/2" increments), different size boots with clamps, a regulator, gauge, valve, and a quick connect to run to your shop compressor. They actually aren't that expensive. I picked one up on sale locally for 90 bucks. But they are pretty simple to build if you can lay a bead.
All you gotta do is put the plug end right at the compressor inlet where your cold air intake attached to the lp turbo using a boot and t-clamps. Then slowly add pressure. You will be able to do a total pressure test of the intake system to the valves/pistons. A small amount of air will blow by the piston rings (so you won't be able to hold the pressure) but you should still easily be able to bring the pressure up to 15-20psi. I usually test to 30-35psi. Just have to be careful not to over do it while keeping limbs clear because you can spin the motor over with too much pressure. Big leaks are easy to find, and then small leaks can be found pretty quickly with some soapy water.
Personally, I always pressure test the system now after a build or after pulling any significant plumbing. I've seen so many aftermarket, brand new parts leaking. Particularly intake manifolds.

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
Go under the hood while its running and unplug the vgt solenoid and see if you can move the vgt arm, that'll change exhaust pitch from hair dryer to deep rumble. If you can move it by hand with it unplugged and change the exhaust tone, the veins aren't stuck. If you plug it in and it stays rumbling, the solenoid is bad because the rumble is the vgts home position where it naturally goes while unpowered.

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
Okay, Ive done that before. (Actually quite recently) I found that when i unplugged it it would change exhaust pitch on its own as the arm would move itself. Considering this, I imagine it is the solenoid? Or more likely problems else where?

08Monster

Reaction score
When you unplug it, it should rumble. The rumble is the arms natural position. Do it again. Just like I said

Members online

No members online now.