P1396 Glow plug monitor fault

flashflood394

Reaction score
I have a 1999 7.3 f250 automatic and I just put a new IDM in it and it was working fine and running great but now it is throwing a P1396 code and I can't clear it. And it seams to be running a little rough now.What sort of checklist can I run through to get this fixed and code cleared. Thanks

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay, so it sounds like you have a Cali truck. Are you sure it is a Late model? That code is usually thrown on an 97 Cali or E99 Cali truck which has the glow plug relay and the shunt. The later model 99 and up Cali trucks have a GPCM.

Arisley

Reaction score
To make for absolutely sure between early and late. If it was built before December '98, it's early. if it was built it '99, it's late. If it was built in December, it could be a hodgepodge of early and late. They switched to the late stuff as they ran out of the early stuff. They did make a serial number notation somewhere when they switched each part from early to late. Been years since I saw that list. When I saw mine was built in April of 98, I didn't really worry about it any more. It was so early, it was almost an OBS.

Latest posts

Members online