Single turbo vs. twin turbos on 6.4

086.4powerstroke

Reaction score
I am stuck between a single turbo set up and twins on my 08 6.4. The truck is my DD and I use it to tow, work, etc. But, I still want to make big power and possibly race it. Let's hear everyone's opinions!

Thanks in advanced!

RSK

Reaction score
How heavy do you tow? If towing at higher elevations i'd just upgrade the factory compounds. Obvisouly every truck up to 08's has been single turbo so they do work very well if you go with the proper size, having an s467 fmw on my 6.4 i'll say it has some lag and towing 6-10k on a regular basis, egts are around 11-1200 on a small one mile long hill near my house and i can try to go faster but no matter what i can never get ahead of the egt's and the truck smokes a considerable amount compared to the factory compounds with the same size tune. So that being said i'm downsizing from my s467 to a s369sxe and hopefully that spools much faster.

086.4powerstroke

Reaction score
How heavy do you tow? If towing at higher elevations i'd just upgrade the factory compounds. Obvisouly every truck up to 08's has been single turbo so they do work very well if you go with the proper size, having an s467 fmw on my 6.4 i'll say it has some lag and towing 6-10k on a regular basis, egts are around 11-1200 on a small one mile long hill near my house and i can try to go faster but no matter what i can never get ahead of the egt's and the truck smokes a considerable amount compared to the factory compounds with the same size tune. So that being said i'm downsizing from my s467 to a s369sxe and hopefully that spools much faster.

Fairly heavy and I am at higher elevations between Wyoming and northern Arizona. Usually tow a built jeep, dump/construction trailer, and sometimes a stock trailer.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Now is doing something like that bolt in? Also, what brands should I be looking at?

Yes drop in style.

Elite Diesel and River City Diesel are the two common brands for drop ins. If you are staying Stock Fuel, a 72 or 73mm atmo is about where you want to be with a 59mm upgraded VGT high pressure, anything past those sizes is pretty much a waste on stock fuel. I had Elite Tow Power Plus 72/59 back when I was on Stock Fuel and it made around 625-650whp and I would guess trucks with that setup could run mid-high 12s at the track. It spooled fantastic and was a blast to drive around on.

With that power level, I would advise head studs and valve springs and push rods. Check your head gaskets, rockers and lifters as well to see if they need replaced while your heads are off if you go this route. Check pistons as well....6.4's are known to crack pistons in stock form.

MCC tuning is the way to go on 6.4's, an H&S Device is your best tuner option.

A built trans is advisable and a wastegate setup to help keep down EBP is a good idea as well.

H&S makes a nice wastegate kit that vents to atmosphere, or you can buy a Tial gate and fab a kit yourself. SDP makes a nice kit that can be dumped into the downpipe.

As for trans....take your pick. Elite Diesel...Midwest Diesel....Side Action Diesel (those 3 are sponsors on this site FYI) ....Red Diamond....Red Horse Motorsports....Suncoast...There's tons. Take your pick.

I personally run a Midwest Diesel Billet Comp 5R with a triple disc precision on a 900HP 6.4 with medium sized compounds and twin pumps and 100% nozzles....it's holding the power fantastic for me.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
The single 64mm sx-e would be a great option also for that application. I towed with our kit all over Utah and Colorado with mine and loved it. Also made very good power with lower egt. Give Dallas a call here and he can answer any questions you may have. 855-623-4450

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score

The 69mm sx-e will spool much quicker than the s400 and make the same power, in some case's we have even seen more........

086.4powerstroke

Reaction score
Yes drop in style.

Elite Diesel and River City Diesel are the two common brands for drop ins. If you are staying Stock Fuel, a 72 or 73mm atmo is about where you want to be with a 59mm upgraded VGT high pressure, anything past those sizes is pretty much a waste on stock fuel. I had Elite Tow Power Plus 72/59 back when I was on Stock Fuel and it made around 625-650whp and I would guess trucks with that setup could run mid-high 12s at the track. It spooled fantastic and was a blast to drive around on.

With that power level, I would advise head studs and valve springs and push rods. Check your head gaskets, rockers and lifters as well to see if they need replaced while your heads are off if you go this route. Check pistons as well....6.4's are known to crack pistons in stock form.

MCC tuning is the way to go on 6.4's, an H&S Device is your best tuner option.

A built trans is advisable and a wastegate setup to help keep down EBP is a good idea as well.

H&S makes a nice wastegate kit that vents to atmosphere, or you can buy a Tial gate and fab a kit yourself. SDP makes a nice kit that can be dumped into the downpipe.

As for trans....take your pick. Elite Diesel...Midwest Diesel....Side Action Diesel (those 3 are sponsors on this site FYI) ....Red Diamond....Red Horse Motorsports....Suncoast...There's tons. Take your pick.

I personally run a Midwest Diesel Billet Comp 5R with a triple disc precision on a 900HP 6.4 with medium sized compounds and twin pumps and 100% nozzles....it's holding the power fantastic for me.

Thank you for the info on the turbos and what to check. I was planning on doing head studs and push rods when the time come to get the engine tore apart.

As for tuning I am running the ******** tunes out of the SCT and as of now am very happy with them.

Is the H&S waste gate kit you are referring to the one that is the EGR ******? And if not what's is your recommendation on an EGR ******?

RSK

Reaction score
The 69mm sx-e will spool much quicker than the s400 and make the same power, in some case's we have even seen more........

I ran the s472 equivalent built from pius at bell turbo and it was all billet and it spooled way better then my s467 but my 12v cummins had 4.10 gears and 33's also had more fuel then my 6.4 so i know that played a roll in spool up so, dropping down to a 300 series housing should help greatly. I can't wait!

Black AOD

Reaction score
Thank you for the info on the turbos and what to check. I was planning on doing head studs and push rods when the time come to get the engine tore apart.

As for tuning I am running the ******** tunes out of the SCT and as of now am very happy with them.

Is the H&S waste gate kit you are referring to the one that is the EGR ******? And if not what's is your recommendation on an EGR ******?
No they make a universal 40mm wastegate that vents to atmo. That's the one I was referring to. Personally I'd rather have the gate dump into the DP but it's not hard to do that either with the H&S kit I don't think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
if you decide to stick with twins, call me. 800-581-8986

if you go single , call that guy zane .

Latest posts

Members online