Upcoming Head Gasket replacement

kleake

Reaction score
Just got my heads back tonight. I got lucky. Everything checked out good.

Sounds like yours went better than mine...

Not a whole lot to post at this point, i've been cleaning parts and prepping everything for when I get the heads in, which should be today.

Ordered heads and front cover from Ford, and crossing my fingers they are new heads and not remanned, but we'll see. I thought about other options, none seem great.

Cleaned many parts as well as some of the cross member and harness stuff and painted valve covers, intake, crank pulley. Might do a few more select items, but not too much.

Installed HPFP, lifters, and 4" Flo-Pro dual turbo back exhaust last night, still waiting on the tips though.

Lipka101

Reaction score

Not a whole lot to post at this point, i've been cleaning parts and prepping everything for when I get the heads in, which should be today.

Ordered heads and front cover from Ford, and crossing my fingers they are new heads and not remanned, but we'll see. I thought about other options, none seem great.

Cleaned many parts as well as some of the cross member and harness stuff and painted valve covers, intake, crank pulley. Might do a few more select items, but not too much.

Installed HPFP, lifters, and 4" Flo-Pro dual turbo back exhaust last night, still waiting on the tips though.
The head part maybe. I bought "good used" hpfp from a member and I still have the p0088 code and it won't hold rail pressure over 18k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
The head part maybe. I bought "good used" hpfp from a member and I still have the p0088 code and it won't hold rail pressure over 18k

That's no good. I hated sending in my good HPFP and injectors for core, when I know they were all still good. I just hope I don't end up with some new issue after doing all of this.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score

all of the 6.4 heads will be reman there are not any new ones being made from ford

kleake

Reaction score
Slow progress. Received remanned heads from Ford. They looked good except UPS dinged up the edges enough they need to be touched up. I dropped them off at my local machine shop to be checked out so it will probably be Monday before I get them back. In the meantime I installed the new front cover, which comes with a new oil pump that I wasn't expecting so that is nice and i've still been soaking my intake to get all the pre-EGR ****** gunk out of it so I can paint it. All of you guys still running EGR, it has been soaking for 3 days with rinsing every day and still has a lot of black gunk coming out.
I also received the exhaust tips, but haven't installed them just yet. They are MUCH better than I was expecting for the price! Credit goes to Tom at Big Time Kustomz, thank you!

kleake

Reaction score
Got the heads back from the machine shop and started the re-assembly. So far, everything is moving along exactly as it should. I am really surprised the gasket set doesn't have a lot of things in it. Fuel return plug O-rings, seal where HPF line passes through lower valve cover, upper and lower valve cover gaskets, and a few others are not in there. I am also finding that many things that are included, are also included with the other items as well. Injector seals and injectors lines are just an example. I'm going to have some spares if anyone needs any.

On to the pics....

New front cover
20160808_220443_zpsv0xjyii5.jpg

Heads on and studs torqued to 275! Takes a little muscle to make that happen!
20160809_004249_zpstngfpaj1.jpg

Pulleys, PS pump, intake, etc.
20160809_223600_zpsubjwtcn9.jpg

Injectors & rocker arms
20160809_230142_zpssbjuvyns.jpg

Fuel rail and lines, i'll torque them tomorrow, it was getting pretty late already.
20160809_234333_zpsvvbzk31k.jpg

Valve covers just setting on to keep dust and bugs out. I'm sure they won't be very visible once all is installed, but they look good now.
20160809_234624_zpsf6wqdans.jpg

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, painted parts hardly show up once everything is installed. I had my block painted Ford blue and my wife thought it was so pretty. When I got done, she wanted to know where the "pretty"engine went.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, painted parts hardly show up once everything is installed. I had my block painted Ford blue and my wife thought it was so pretty. When I got done, she wanted to know where the "pretty"engine went.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yea, i'm still pretty amazed at how much stuff sits on the top of these. The valves are clear down at the spring perch height in the engine bay. My neighbor came over and was amazed that something with this much power had such a small block and piston size once tore down. Everything is stacked on top of the actual engine to the point it just dissapears down in there.

Lipka101

Reaction score

I "fixed it" with a tune change from innov ative to GH

kleake

Reaction score
Got everything back together on Saturday and ready to put the cab back on. Did that on Sunday. All went as expected with no major issues, but did run into one minor one. Lower radiator hose is leaking. Evidently I didn't get the clip in right and it is leaking pretty badly. I pulled it off and re-installed the clip right, but it's still leaking so I'll pick one up tomorrow. That is the messiest hose to replace since you can't really drain it completely. AND, I feel for ANYONE putting on BD manifolds with the cab on! The passenger side is a pretty good challenge to get to the center two lower bolts! Took almost an hour to put it on and about 15 minutes on the driver side. Couldn't imagine doing it cab on. Still have a few things to finish up before firing it up. If all goes well, i'll be doing that tomorrow night. Anyway, on to the pics.

Turbo mounted
20160813_120809_zps0sve9rxy.jpg

BD manifolds and up-pipes installed. Also the Flo-Pro 4" downpipe.
20160813_141751_zpslb2cotzl.jpg

Sure looks good, too bad you can't see this view in the truck. haha
20160813_141817_zpspjvntkro.jpg

Everything good is hidden!
20160813_182710_zpstg6kqb3x.jpg

20160813_182740_zpsxsmjvss6.jpg

Remaining turbo tubes on and everything is bundled up ready for the cab.
20160813_182805_zpscovwercx.jpg

Love the dual exhaust with MBRP tips
20160813_222226_zpssfp4jfae.jpg

20160813_222240_zpsc5yssvvk.jpg

20160813_222259_zpsurcozzt2.jpg

Turned into place and pulling it under the cab.
20160814_170747%201_zpsbva7lnn0.jpg

20160814_170954%201_zpsvk2nfnpt.jpg

A few people was asking where I hooked the hoists. Here is the places I used
20160814_163707_zpsg88lzwv1.jpg

20160814_175844_zpsglo2pfpd.jpg

View from underneath passenger side. There is a perfect hole for the hook.
20160814_163733_zpsgb1uhtjk.jpg

kleake

Reaction score
Ok, problem....... Got it together far enough to crank it up, however when I crank it over I get what sounds like 4 cylinders under compression, and then 4 more that have 0... The odd part is that they are all in a row. So you get 4 that crank like normal, then a freewheel until those 4 hit again. I'll try to upload a video, but it sure sounds like I have 4 that have 0 compression all in a row.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.