6.4 single turbo white smoke

Trevor

Reaction score
I did a single turbo last year and I took it to a different shop to have manifolds, up pipes, and a ported intake manifold installed and also had the turbo pulled to put a billet wheel in it and have it balanced. I get a call saying the turbo I bought a year ago was a 63mm & not a 66mm (Which is what I bought) so I end up getting a new s366 with a billet wheel, balanced, and milled. My truck is now complete but it blows out huge puffs of white-ish smoke when I come off from a stop, other then that it might haze a little bit of black smoke but no white smoke. Anyone know what could be causing this? It does it cold or hot. Drives very smoothly and has a lot of power and coolant levels don't seem to be dropping.

Trevor

Reaction score
Could it possibly be a bad turbo seal? The only things messed with on the truck were the up pipes, manifolds, ported intake manifold, and turbo. It is a brand new turbo though

michaelite

Reaction score
Im going to go on a whim here and say if you had a bad seal you would see oil in the exhaust. Remove the downpipe and look for oil.

It might be just your tune.

I am no expert but maybe someone will correct me or clarify this better

footlong70

Reaction score
I'd be leaning towards turbo seal for sure. Dealt with it myself, it takes very little grit of contamination to destroy a brand new turbo seal/bearing/bushing. And when they let go into the exhaust its fairly white exhaust, not blue-ish like most would think.

Trevor

Reaction score
Alright thanks for y'alls input. There is what I believe to be oil coming all the way down to the end of the exhaust. I'm gonna have the turbo checked and put on a new oil drain. The oil drain we noticed was to long and was going up (I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be gravity fed) so we re-routed it to where it was only going down. After that it started smoking a whole lot more. So maybe its just a bad oil drain or its not routed correctly?

08Monster

Reaction score
What size is the oil drain, and is it flex? I had this issue with my 6.4, BW said it needed like a 3/4" drain line at a certain angle, and my Midwest kit did not have that, and it ruined my 366.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trevor

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the exact size was but it wasn't very big, It was supper long (over a foot). Took the turbo out and there was a lot of oil in it so I had the seals checked, had everything cleaned, and rebalanced it. We got a new oil drain kit, made it to where there is no play between the turbo and the pedestal (Goes directly from the turbo straight down to the pedestal) and now everything seems to be working good for now....

Trevor

Reaction score
What size line is your oil drain ?

I wanna say the new one is 5/8. Everything is working good now no more smoke and turbo checked out okay. Just really damn dirty from all the oil but we cleaned the sh*t out of it.

Those up pipes, manifolds, ported intake manifold, and the new turbo made a world of a difference. Very happy with my truck