Dana 80 into SRW 08 for sled pulling?

Reaction score
So I've had quite a few suggest I upgrade from my 10.5 to a Dana 80 since I plan on pulling more and more. Figured I'd look into it a little before installing a locker and rebuilding my sterling 10.5.

Online research shows I could get a Dana 80 from a 99-03 and it will have the 8x170 lug pattern, and nearly same width.

Will it bolt right in? What other changes will need to be made?

Any other suggestions regarding rear end for pulling and racing?

99-04 cab and chassis Dana 80. You just have to move the spring perch and one shock mount.

I've done 5-6 of them.

has anyone tried having moser axles in a sterling

Doesn't matter the ring and pinion in a steeling are junk.

Sounds like an improper backlash issue. 500 should not even budge a 10.25 or 10.5. As for cryo, I heard a 35% increase in strength, but I have no personal experience with it.

Don't waste your time with cryo axles or ring and pinions. They just become more brittle and break easier.

I'm just trying to avoid buying parts(locker/bearings/seals) for two rearends if I'll end up upgrading anyways is all.

I think i'll slap a tru-trac in it, weld the tubes and test the limits!

Don't put a dime into that sterling if you are planning on pulling much at all. They are weak. We have destroyed a lot of them on stock fuel trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
:whs: don't waste money on the sterling idk how many I have broke at 600hp back in the day. Even have broken some dana 80 axles at 6xxhp with a hard hooking truck.

Rubenk

Reaction score
99-04 cab and chassis Dana 80. You just have to move the spring perch and one shock mount.
I've done 5-6 of them.
Doesn't matter the ring and pinion in a steeling are junk.
Don't waste your time with cryo axles or ring and pinions. They just become more brittle and break easier.
Don't put a dime into that sterling if you are planning on pulling much at all. They are weak. We have destroyed a lot of them on stock fuel trucks.

:whs: don't waste money on the sterling idk how many I have broke at 600hp back in the day. Even have broken some dana 80 axles at 6xxhp with a hard hooking truck.

Ahhh, damn I keep changing my mind!! Really, thank you guys for the input though. I think I'll just tru-trac the front and keep a lookout for a Dana 80 for a swap.

So as far as drag-racing am I looking at any major losses by going to the bigger axle? Do alot of guys break sterlings racing too?

Reaction score
Ahhh, damn I keep changing my mind!! Really, thank you guys for the input though. I think I'll just tru-trac the front and keep a lookout for a Dana 80 for a swap.

So as far as drag-racing am I looking at any major losses by going to the bigger axle? Do alot of guys break sterlings racing too?

Sterlings don't really break racing. But pulling will be the issue. As far as weight I doubt it's 20-40# difference if that.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Sterlings don't really break racing. But pulling will be the issue. As far as weight I doubt it's 20-40# difference if that.

10-4, thanks again for all the advice Morgan! I'm sure you're swamped but you should throw in a window sticker with the order I placed today! :toast:

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
You can have it narrowed to the correct width, they look funny to me sitting fat in the rear of a srw truck. I had a dually 80 narrowed for single wheel setup, but I also had OBS sterling spindles added as well. And then you can order some 37 spline shafts for it. It's not a crazy expensive setup, especially if you do it before you dump money into the 10.5

Reaction score
You can have it narrowed to the correct width, they look funny to me sitting fat in the rear of a srw truck. I had a dually 80 narrowed for single wheel setup, but I also had OBS sterling spindles added as well. And then you can order some 37 spline shafts for it. It's not a crazy expensive setup, especially if you do it before you dump money into the 10.5

That cab and chassis Dana 80 is within 1" of the same width of the sterling. 37 spline axles will fit in the Dana 80 without changing spindles too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.