Variable vane brake and egr throttle plate

norcalpowerstroke73

Reaction score
To my understanding and I could be wrong but on the 15/16 yr mo 6.7 powerstroke that when the variable vane brake is engaged the throttle plate would close to create pumping loss to make engine braking more effective. Would it be possible to do something similar with the 6.4? Such as when the accelerator isn't being applied the throttle plate would close a certain percentage along with putting the vanes in a closed position to create a effective brake. The reason I ask is that I have a BD variable vane brake and never had issues with it but there is more to be desired as far as braking. Any input or ideas would appreciated thank you.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you can close the turbo vanes. it isn't effective like a Dodge exhaust brake, but it does help slow the truck down. trans tuning helps in conjunction

norcalpowerstroke73

Reaction score
I know already about closing the vanes. My bd variable vane brake already does that. I was just wondering if there was a way to command the egr throttle plate to close to create pumping loss to assist in braking (to my knowledge that's what the 15/16 6.7 does).

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you could try it but I am not sure that they will both work together very well. I might be wrong, I have never tuned a truck that still had the factory elbow.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
there's no way to really accomplish what you're aiming at that I know of with readily available tuning software