Dana 80 into SRW 08 for sled pulling?

Rubenk

Reaction score
So I've had quite a few suggest I upgrade from my 10.5 to a Dana 80 since I plan on pulling more and more. Figured I'd look into it a little before installing a locker and rebuilding my sterling 10.5.

Online research shows I could get a Dana 80 from a 99-03 and it will have the 8x170 lug pattern, and nearly same width.

Will it bolt right in? What other changes will need to be made?

Any other suggestions regarding rear end for pulling and racing?

gman1

Reaction score
Good luck finding one from a Ford. If I remember right you have to relocate the spring perches and shock tabs to fit your 08. Plus the overall width of the Ford D80 is a little wider the the Sterling.
I wasnt lucky enough to find one from a Ford so I had a D80 built to fit my pulling truck with Sterling spindles and all the good stuff.

6ohstroker

Reaction score
Keep looking for one. They're tough to find for sure but they do exist. I'm in the process of putting one in my 04 right now. Mine was supposedly out of a pickup but after measuring it must have been out of a C&C or a van. I had to move spring perches and shock mounts. I believe the C&C would be about the same width as your 08front end

Rubenk

Reaction score
C&C 80 is what I've heard is the closest to my sterling width. Just wasn't sure if there was a chance suspension would bolt up. How about brakes?

Baker42

Reaction score
So I've had quite a few suggest I upgrade from my 10.5 to a Dana 80 since I plan on pulling more and more. Figured I'd look into it a little before installing a locker and rebuilding my sterling 10.5.

Online research shows I could get a Dana 80 from a 99-03 and it will have the 8x170 lug pattern, and nearly same width.

Will it bolt right in? What other changes will need to be made?

Any other suggestions regarding rear end for pulling and racing?
What kind of power are ya making? The 10.5 should be sufficient. But cutting saddles and welding on new perches is an easy job if your handy with a torch and welder. 45 minutes and done. Drive line, brakes, ebrake, much more time. If I were putting down 12 to 1300 rwhp I would consider it, or just cryo the diff and put some Yukon 4340 shafts in and your good.

6ohstroker

Reaction score
I haven't put mine in yet but the sterling brake caliper brackets bolt right on the Dana 80, so I assume the calipers will too. As for lug pattern I think all 99-04 super duty Dana 80s have the 8x170 pattern. 05+ are on a bigger spacing. I broke my sterling pinion shaft off with 500 rwhp. Does cryo make that big of difference? I must have different track conditions.

Baker42

Reaction score
I haven't put mine in yet but the sterling brake caliper brackets bolt right on the Dana 80, so I assume the calipers will too. As for lug pattern I think all 99-04 super duty Dana 80s have the 8x170 pattern. 05+ are on a bigger spacing. I broke my sterling pinion shaft off with 500 rwhp. Does cryo make that big of difference? I must have different track conditions.
Sounds like an improper backlash issue. 500 should not even budge a 10.25 or 10.5. As for cryo, I heard a 35% increase in strength, but I have no personal experience with it.

Rubenk

Reaction score
What kind of power are ya making? The 10.5 should be sufficient. But cutting saddles and welding on new perches is an easy job if your handy with a torch and welder. 45 minutes and done. Drive line, brakes, ebrake, much more time. If I were putting down 12 to 1300 rwhp I would consider it, or just cryo the diff and put some Yukon 4340 shafts in and your good.

I'm at 650 right now, about to be 750+ for next season. Then once cracked pistons happen it will be closer to 800 probably. Hoping to spray it at the strip later next year too...

Baker42

Reaction score
I'm just trying to avoid buying parts(locker/bearings/seals) for two rearends if I'll end up upgrading anyways is all.

I think i'll slap a tru-trac in it, weld the tubes and test the limits!
Thats what I would do. Go with a Detroit, or ARB. Cryo the ring gear, Install some 4340 shafts from Yukon. You will have a bulletproof rear end and your wallet will thank you.

:fordoval:

Latest posts

Members online