SCT Livewire....Quick Tricks, or someone else....

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Stumbled onto Quick Tricks website, I like the fact that you get free unlimited tunes with purchase, but how is their tuning? Better deal somewhere else? I realize this is a loaded question, but with what I am looking for as far as tunes go, maybe someone can offer a suggested tuner/tune.

Truck will be a daily driver, so looking for some economy.

Truck will tow 2 different trailers, one snowmobile clamshell with 2 sleds in it.

Second tow tune would be for a 10-12k lb trailer loaded.

And maybe a small "street" tune, nothing crazy.

Truck is a 05, studded and etc, but not sure who did the stud job, or if the heads were off and machined. Stock injectors. Has K&N intake and a Diamond Eye exhaust.

Thanks for any and all replies.

diezelfreak

Reaction score
I'm sure someone else will chime in. But I've noticed all trucks seem to run different on diff tunes. One may run good with g head an another may not. That all the input I have lol.

Reaction score
Matter of opinion.. I like IDP tunes on 6.0.. Call your tuner of choice and make clear what YOU want..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I had IDP on my 6.0 and on my 6.4.
Just recently tried GH tunes.
I feel the "Same" tunes are stronger from IDP.
Both can tune. Trans tuning is the key. I didnt try GH on my 6.0 so cant compare that one.
I just know that the 6.0 shifted great and was a good running truck with IDP.
With the 6.4 both are good in my opinion.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies....IDP and Gear Head were in my top choices. I've read that GH's SRL file is pretty good for what I'm looking for. Really wish I could put faith in the head gaskets, but the quality of work in other area's on the truck leaves me nervous.

I'll call both I guess and see what they have to say. I'm getting the rest of fluids changed out early next week, get a look at the tran fluid and see what it looks like.

Is the Livewire worth it??

Hopefully it stops raining and I can get some pics of the truck to post tomorrow.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies....IDP and Gear Head were in my top choices. I've read that GH's SRL file is pretty good for what I'm looking for. Really wish I could put faith in the head gaskets, but the quality of work in other area's on the truck leaves me nervous.

I'll call both I guess and see what they have to say. I'm getting the rest of fluids changed out early next week, get a look at the tran fluid and see what it looks like.

Is the Livewire worth it??

Hopefully it stops raining and I can get some pics of the truck to post tomorrow.

pm me i can get you setup with either gh or idp !

Reaction score
Probably Mike will let you know but livewire ts doesn't have very good track record. I would do x4/cts2.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Work&play

Reaction score
Matt at Gear-Head and Nate at WPE are my 2 choices.
Nates are a little better on my truck.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Probably Mike will let you know but livewire ts doesn't have very good track record. I would do x4/cts2.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Huh....I remember when Edge products were looked down upon. Lol. I'll look into the CTS2, I want to be able to monitor EO/EC spreads.

pm me i can get you setup with either gh or idp !

Ok Mike. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2stangs8689

Reaction score
Matt at Gear-Head and Nate at WPE are my 2 choices.
Nates are a little better on my truck.

Bumping this thread again......

I bought a tune from Nate and from ********, and I'm not keen on either. I've also tried Quick Tricks. i like aspects of GH's, but his trans tuning makes my trans flare really bad. I like quick tricks trans tuning, but it seems like the big power comes in too hard and fast, where i like the GH power band.

NONE of them gave me any increase in economy, even tho all claimed it would, so I'm at a loss. I'm getting 14C/ 17H in stock tune. i don't beat the crap out of my truck, but i like to have the power there when i do need to pass, or shut down a Chevy. :ford:

I'm starting to think maybe a FICM tuner may be the way to go, as i'm after drivability and economy, then maybe just add a trans tune for towing??

I'm at a loss, and my head is spinning with the all the tuners and options. i loved the H&S on my 6.4 (wish i had kept that truck) and thinking about selling off my X4 and CTS2 and going that way.

Any discussion is welcomed.

sootie

Reaction score
What shift is it flaring on? you may be well served, depending on mileage, to replace the direct solenoid with an OEM unit. have you tried explaining your shift issues to GH and tried a revision? also-that mileage is about right.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
What shift is it flaring on? you may be well served, depending on mileage, to replace the direct solenoid with an OEM unit. have you tried explaining your shift issues to GH and tried a revision? also-that mileage is about right.

Direct solenoid....I've read about that somewhere and now can't remember where. Is there a recommended vendor? The trans is freshly rebuilt, but i know they wouldn't change that.

14/17 stock I'm happy with from what Ive read, was hoping for a couple more from the cam and a tune.

I believe it's the 3-5 shift that's flaring, or even stalling completely. Only does it with his tune.

sootie

Reaction score
if it only happens with his tune, speak to him and get it adjusted. If not, buy a direct solenoid from sunrise ford on here.

slc6oh

Reaction score
ill add to the flare concern with gh... I thought all was cool, and paid no mind to my 3-5 shift on the gh tune as everything else was money..

tried tsd for ****s, and looking back my 3-5 was softer with gh. but like I said, all else was great, and I cant call that on him. as I have a used trans that I don't know the history of. but for me. for right now. tsd has won me over.. and I'm up to 15.5 mpg on stop / go 55mph highway. I'm betting 20 on the interstate.

slc6oh

Reaction score
although I loved my idp when I was on a vgt turbo.

coulda toned down the shifts a tad for my liking but over all it was an animal.

2stangs8689

Reaction score
if it only happens with his tune, speak to him and get it adjusted. If not, buy a direct solenoid from sunrise ford on here.

I sent him a email today, hopefully hear back from him next week. I'm looking at the GoGo diesel solenoid now.

ill add to the flare concern with gh... I thought all was cool, and paid no mind to my 3-5 shift on the gh tune as everything else was money..

tried tsd for ****s, and looking back my 3-5 was softer with gh. but like I said, all else was great, and I cant call that on him. as I have a used trans that I don't know the history of. but for me. for right now. tsd has won me over.. and I'm up to 15.5 mpg on stop / go 55mph highway. I'm betting 20 on the interstate.

What TSD tune do you have?

I ordered the Street tune today, from TDP, right after my email to GH. Was looking at TSD as well

although I loved my idp when I was on a vgt turbo.

coulda toned down the shifts a tad for my liking but over all it was an animal.

I was looking at IDP as well. I'll see how the TDP tune is and go from there.

I'm really thinking about ordering a FICM tuner from PHP, as everyone that has a FICM tune/tuner, LOVES it.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online