7.3 swap

Honky_Kong220

Reaction score
I'm looking for some in site on swapping out my 460 big block in my 97 f250 to a 7.3 powerstroke out of a 94 f250. Has anyone done this? If so how difficult is it on a scale of 1-10 and what extra parts should I get out her than the obvious motor mounts and transmission. (If there's already a thread on it put the link please. I searched but couldn't find any)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Honky_Kong220

Reaction score
Another thing to add is I'm very new to diesels. And I have little automotive experience and I know I have a lot of work cut out for me but I do enjoy learning new things especially the OBS as it is my favorite body style

TyCorr

Reaction score
You need waaaaay more than just the engine andcwhatever you said. You need a whole diesel truck as a donor for harnesses,sensors, etc. The ecm and idm need to be carried over from the diesel.

If you have a 94-97 with the 7.3 in it just run that. You'll be swapping most of it otherwise.

TERRCO

Reaction score
I've done it. As stated it will be way easier having a donor sitting right next to it. Be ready to pull the dash for a new harness. The list is long but way easier if your looking at both side by side. You will need to adapt your fuel lines to the powerstroke lines. I cut up a fuel sending unit off another psd truck and made some adapters with that. Supply and return. You will need the battery trays, IDM , ECM , engine harness, dash harness , AC lines, radiator, all hoses, map sensor , I think I even had to use the wiper motor off the psd because the old one was hitting the turbo. Can't remember it's been a long time. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. Make sure and fix all the seals you can now. Like oil pan, rear head plug, maybe change the up pipe doughnuts. Lots of regrets I had afterwards. Should done this that first.
Anyway have fun, I remember it was a great feeling when I was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
OP, not trying to be a jerk, but you said you were new to diesels. Are you sure the 7.3 motor you found is a psd or is it an idi?? I think that vehicle year had 2 options but....don't hold me to that. I thought I read the psd was only offered with the manual trans that year. Swaps are fun and time consuming, so keep us posted how it goes.

Honky_Kong220

Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention the doner truck is a 94. It's been rolled over but I go to look at it next Thursday the guy says it only has 204k and that it still starts and runs but it's hard to get into the cab. I plan on running the Vin while I'm there as well

79jasper

Reaction score
OP, not trying to be a jerk, but you said you were new to diesels. Are you sure the 7.3 motor you found is a psd or is it an idi?? I think that vehicle year had 2 options but....don't hold me to that. I thought I read the psd was only offered with the manual trans that year. Swaps are fun and time consuming, so keep us posted how it goes.
Technically 3 options for diesel. Psd, idi, and idit.
Running the vin won't really matter. Just look at the engine.
Also the psd of the 94 Era was only available with the zf5.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Honky_Kong220

Reaction score
Well I appreciate all the help tall gave me anyway. I guess it will just have to wait

Latest posts

Members online