07 expedition gets 4bta'd

gwunter

Reaction score
Alas, no :( she's just too heavy. But that's OK, I have other projects for that. Someday when I upgrade turbo systems maybe it will. Tomorrow I hope to get the speedo going. After that I hope to get the gauges installed so I can really monitor things. I wonder sometimes if it runs out of fuel supply to the IP on the top end. I don't know what the mechanical lift pump is good for.

As for the surging, I was messing with the IP and I noticed that when I gradually (with my hand) increase RPMs on the IP lever there is a spot where it really really takes off and climbs rpms. So I'm thinking while I'm driving I slowly come to that spot and that's where it takes place. It seems to noticeably increase fuel supply at this point...appx 25% throttle. I don't know if this is a fuel pin adjustment or something else. I might have to join a Cummins forum to seek advice :( don't want to rub shoulders with the dodge guys. Lol

gwunter

Reaction score
I'm now working on the speedometer pretty actively. I've had intermittent success. I believe my method is good I just need to improve some parts of the system. I'm utilizing the original 6r75 tcm. This module has a hard wired in vss that points off the tone wheel on the trans output shaft. I aquired an original output shaft that I machined down to fit my needs. I could have started from scratch on the tone wheel but I was trying to save time. This shaft has a lot of case hardening done to it to resist wear so that took more time in the machining process to get our where I wanted it. I now have a speedometer that works occassionslly. When it works it works good, but when it doesn't your out of luck. I think it may be a bad ground or I need better shielded wire for transmitting the signal. I'll getter whooped!!

ResizedImage_1441586674146_zpssnqkphf8.jpg

there's the modified tcm

ResizedImage_1441586328006_zpsnuwvgt3h.jpg

here's the trans to transfer case adapter I previously machined to put the tone wheel in

ResizedImage_1441586317597_zpsxj0j9iwm.jpg

tight fit

ResizedImage_1441586281940_zpsv7cyoicx.jpg

here it is mounted. I'm no welder, I'll work on that. Notice the sensor mounted on the side. This is just a cam position sensor. It reads just fine.ill be installing better wire tomorrow.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Awesome work on the adapter Shannon! If only you had the monarch setup when you were fooling with the shaft, you could have cleaned up the welds a little bit. :poke: Based on how well you have done with the machining stuff, I'm sure you will be welding like a pro with a little bit of practice. I sure hope you are able to get everything figured out soon. If you think it would be helpful, I could ship you my o-scope. It has been helpful very helpful in figuring out my interference issues with the vfd setups I have put together at work.

Btw, I checked out your turbo thread over at 4btswaps. I hope you are able to come up with a good match to those sticks you are running. I would seriously think about something that would work good in a compound setup later down the road unless you decide to use different injectors. I briefly checked out that guys thread who is using the compound setup from the International V6. That sounds like a sweet setup. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Anyway, thanks for updating the thread with some picks and good luck.

gwunter

Reaction score
Efficiency update....just took a 260mile road trip with 85% driving at 75mph on interstate. According to hand calcs it averaged 24mpg. I think this is pretty descent and ill happily take it!! I still feel there is more to be had. This was with no cruise as well. I probably can't get much more out of it but I feel 25 should be attainable.

Still no tach but speedo is working great now. I'm also on the fence with changing turbos. I'm weighing the options of a super hx30, hx35 over hx30 compounds, or a vgt turbo. I already have an hx35 that would partake in the compound setup. decisions decisions....

ja_cain

Reaction score
Awesome! Seeing fuel economy like that, I wish I would have held on to my Expedition. They are a dime a dozen around here though.

I vote for compounds, especially since you have largish injectors and the hx35.

Still waiting on some video footage to post up on the Youtube for you. Lol!

gwunter

Reaction score
Well things went south in a hurry. All was just fine and then boom!!.....literally. The wife was driving it home the other day and didn't make it. Evident real quick something was really wrong. She was just cruising 55mph down the highway and it started making bad noises. She quickly pulled over and shut it down. I restarted it for about 5 seconds and shut it down. Almost cried. Finally found this.

20151018_190838_zps2exaqt9v.jpg

20151018_191231_zps4ertyvix.jpg

20151018_190852_zpsajoaqlh7.jpg

20151018_191535_zpsrg638bns.jpg

only thing can think of is it fatigued. Bearings don't show lack of oil. Anyone have any ideas or is this just freak thing.?

needen$77

Reaction score
I had seen on another site this happened to a 6bt and he just replaced the crank and a few rods. He seemed very knowledgeable and he is still pounding on it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Dude that blows! At least you know that the crank and whatever else you put back in there will be sound. How's the wife handling this? I hope she isn't too upset. My wife would have kicked me in the ****. I'm sure you will have it back up in no time, based on how resourceful/skilled you are.

gwunter

Reaction score
Dude that blows! At least you know that the crank and whatever else you put back in there will be sound. How's the wife handling this? I hope she isn't too upset. My wife would have kicked me in the ****. I'm sure you will have it back up in no time, based on how resourceful/skilled you are.

The old girl is back on the road again!! Runs as good as ever. I really hope this was a once in a lifetime break. The wife was not mad at me at all. She actually felt sorry for me because she knows how many hours I have in it. She actually didn't even bat a eye when I told her an aftermarket crank was 550$. She just said we gotta have it. Yea....she's one in a million.

ja_cain

Reaction score
The old girl is back on the road again!! Runs as good as ever. I really hope this was a once in a lifetime break. The wife was not mad at me at all. She actually felt sorry for me because she knows how many hours I have in it. She actually didn't even bat a eye when I told her an aftermarket crank was 550$. She just said we gotta have it. Yea....she's one in a million.
That's awesome dude! She is a one in a million. Now you just need to get me those video clips. ;)

Btw, I ended up getting that SB lathe for $100. Picking it up tomorrow along with some other goodies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
Lol...no triples. But I am making provision for compounds via an hx30/hx35 combo. I'm really anxious to put just the hx30w on there. But its not exactly bolt on. It won't be difficult but still a little involved. Will eventually do a good fuel supply system and innercooler. I'm still glad I did this swap. Ja Cain I'll get you those videos eventually, I'd like to get something better than cell phone quality.

Life's been difficult here lately. Had a baby born 6 weeks early, spent 2 weeks in NICU. Changing jobs. Changing this crankshaft. Deer season. It goes on.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Lol...no triples. But I am making provision for compounds via an hx30/hx35 combo. I'm really anxious to put just the hx30w on there. But its not exactly bolt on. It won't be difficult but still a little involved. Will eventually do a good fuel supply system and innercooler. I'm still glad I did this swap. Ja Cain I'll get you those videos eventually, I'd like to get something better than cell phone quality.

Life's been difficult here lately. Had a baby born 6 weeks early, spent 2 weeks in NICU. Changing jobs. Changing this crankshaft. Deer season. It goes on.
a thing called life gets in the way from time to time.. congrats on the lil one!! my nephew is almost 2 months old..

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score

Is the baby still doing ok and gaining weight? Definitely have to watch out for digestive issues with babies that are early like that. Necrotizing enterocolitis comes to mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
Just a little update. The expedition has been running good. Im slowly getting things squared away on it. Ive also recently installed the hx30w. Had to do a little tweaking to tbe exhaust and basically make a whole new intake tube from turbo to intake manifold. Still no innercooler. With the h1c i could push 35psi and probably less than 5psi cruising at 65. With the hx30, the wg appears to opens around 23ish psi. And while cruising at 65 its pushing 10psi. I dont know if thats necessarily good or bad. For some reason my brand new autometer egt gauge doesnt work :(. I mean its pretty straight forward to install; install probe, connect probe to wire harness, plug harness into back of gauge, put 12v to gauge. So i dont know if its my actual gauge or probe. Any thoughts?? Overall the hx30 seems to perform better. It burns fuel better down low now. But im not so sure it does as good up top. The engine almost exhibits a choking feeling when i really get on it. It didnt do it with the h1c.

So im still buying pieces and parts for the compounds. I think im going to install an innercooler at the same time. Weve been having some temps in the teens here and it always starts if the battery does its job. Im really thinking of adding a second battery. Its a new duralast gold and if it sits for a few cold days the battery wont turn the engine over. A few minutes on the charger and it starts. I really hopebits not some other electrical problem. Thats the update for now.

gwunter

Reaction score
You don't think a 30/35 combo will be to close in size to work well together?

First off, I'm no turbo expert or claim to be; lol. I don't think turbo maps are real relevent in this situation due to it being a compound setup. So all I really have to go off of is others personal experience. People that have done this setup really seem to enjoy it, and of course lower egts, less lag, more power. I also have an hx40 on the shelf so I might research that as an option as well. But in the mean time I'm buying pieces and parts to put this all together. Had to buy a different oil cooler cover to relocate oil filter, aluminum piping, SS piping, hose material, inner cooler, more piping, etc. I think building these will be fun!!

Gunna need to beef up the clutch too.

Latest posts

Members online