4R100 build

GRN250

Reaction score
Searched the site for performance modifications for a 4R100 build but didn't get all the information desired.

Wanting to build the transmission myself and want to spend funds wisely. What is a good performance rebuild kit (suncoast, racer x, etc), what hard parts should be replaced to increase reliability and horsepower capability and what machine work is required to improve the transmission. Thanks for your help.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Searched the site for performance modifications for a 4R100 build but didn't get all the information desired.

Wanting to build the transmission myself and want to spend funds wisely. What is a good performance rebuild kit (suncoast, racer x, etc), what hard parts should be replaced to increase reliability and horsepower capability and what machine work is required to improve the transmission. Thanks for your help.
what horsepower are you looking to push through this trans?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hp goal is 800-900.
holy chit. you might want to go with something proven instead of building it yourself... way less headaches down the line... but you should call bts, john wood, or twisted and ask if you can just buy all their internals..

live life full throttle

cbf9703

Reaction score
holy chit. you might want to go with something proven instead of building it yourself... way less headaches down the line... but you should call bts, john wood, or twisted and ask if you can just buy all their internals..

live life full throttle
This. Or go with a local trans builder that you really trust so warranty work is at least local...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Outlaw7317

Reaction score
IMO if I've got enough money tied up in a 7.3 to push 800hp my trans is going to BTS no matter how good I think my mechanic skills are.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I totally missed your original post with HP goal. My bad.

Not sure on that much power. A lot of billet I would assume. I know the hi hp Twisted trans is several thousand. Not sure what they put into it though.

Reaction score
Call Jonathan at dynoproven. He is building trans in house now. I rode in his dually 2 months back with his trans in it. That trans is dead on perfect! I was very impressed! Or Look up patc.com and get your billet parts. With that power level which is also the range I'm pushing for. I would get a aermet(i think that's how it's spelled) input shaft. Billet intermediate shaft. Billet forward drum and billet OD planetary. Output shaft will be fine stock. They are huge anyway. Get a transgo tugger kit. That is pretty much all that is installed in a bts valve body wise. My buddy and I have installed the tugger kit and also had my bts apart. Same stuff. I switched from the boost valve that comes with the bts to one from sonnax it's a much stiffer spring. I'm sure Jonathan will sell you the fictions, steels, and already milled backing plates. You can also get all your lip seals and stuff from patc. Get a good converter. Precision is what bts uses. Only thing you would have to have machined and it's not necessary but recommended is have the center support milled flat and shim it to take all the slop out of it. That will help the trans live longer cause nothing is shifting back and forth like a factory trans. Bts uses big snap rings as shims just need to find the correct thickness for your trans. I also suggest a ATSG book if you don't already have one. I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff maybe others can fill in what I left out. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Reaction score
Another thing I forgot to add. The holes drilled in the accumulator body and both flow plates need to be drilled much larger than the tugger kit recommends. I have all that wrote down somewhere but can't find the paper. When we had my bts apart we used a Mic on everything to see what makes the bts so good. I have to pull my trans again in a month or so and put it in a new case again. Mine cracked the second bell housing in a year. I have had a violent shake in my motor I been trying to track down and I finally found it I think. But it has cracked 2 trans cases before I finally found it. I'll make sure I measure everything again and write it down. If your not in a hurry for that info I'll post it up when I have my trans apart.

Jomax

Reaction score
Precision has had bad converters recently...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRN250

Reaction score
Call Jonathan at dynoproven. He is building trans in house now. I rode in his dually 2 months back with his trans in it. That trans is dead on perfect! I was very impressed! Or Look up patc.com and get your billet parts. With that power level which is also the range I'm pushing for. I would get a aermet(i think that's how it's spelled) input shaft. Billet intermediate shaft. Billet forward drum and billet OD planetary. Output shaft will be fine stock. They are huge anyway. Get a transgo tugger kit. That is pretty much all that is installed in a bts valve body wise. My buddy and I have installed the tugger kit and also had my bts apart. Same stuff. I switched from the boost valve that comes with the bts to one from sonnax it's a much stiffer spring. I'm sure Jonathan will sell you the fictions, steels, and already milled backing plates. You can also get all your lip seals and stuff from patc. Get a good converter. Precision is what bts uses. Only thing you would have to have machined and it's not necessary but recommended is have the center support milled flat and shim it to take all the slop out of it. That will help the trans live longer cause nothing is shifting back and forth like a factory trans. Bts uses big snap rings as shims just need to find the correct thickness for your trans. I also suggest a ATSG book if you don't already have one. I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff maybe others can fill in what I left out. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. I will look in to the parts listed. My 4wd truck has a BTS and it utilizes a Precision TC so that is what my plan was for this truck.

GRN250

Reaction score
IMO if I've got enough money tied up in a 7.3 to push 800hp my trans is going to BTS no matter how good I think my mechanic skills are.

Have a BTS in my 4wd but wanting to build one myself for this truck. Hoping to save a few dollars in the process but like working on my trucks when possible....may be a bad decision.

joe d

Reaction score
Wont save unless it does not break. At that power level its probley going to break. Bts gets my vote...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.