aftermarket dually rims

bs4284

Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around aftermarket dually rims.

The stock rims can sit in all positions, but all aftermarket rims I have seen are have cheaper inner rear rims.

is there anyone that makes a aftermarket rim that fits all 6 positions?

it just seems silly to me for rotating purposes to always have this 2 tires in the back when they could be put in the mix up front...

but maybe its not as big of a deal as I think it is?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
On my personal dually truck (01) I have the same scenario and rotate the outers, and swap the inners from side to side. But Im not worried about the nice side being out on a 16+ year old truck.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
After reading and talking with my tire guy, it seems odd wear is not a huge concern unless a problem exists... could be completely wrong but I'm going with it.

The fuel wheels I ordered have the cheapo wheel for the inside, and so did others I looked at.
Like you I dislike that idea but being my first dually I'm just rolling with it..

Figured I would just rotate side to side and be done...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Profuzz

Reaction score
True tire rotation requires dismount & remount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm still trying to wrap my head around aftermarket dually rims.

The stock rims can sit in all positions, but all aftermarket rims I have seen are have cheaper inner rear rims.

is there anyone that makes a aftermarket rim that fits all 6 positions?

it just seems silly to me for rotating purposes to always have this 2 tires in the back when they could be put in the mix up front...

but maybe its not as big of a deal as I think it is?

Aluminum rims are usually a 1/4" thick +/-, at the mounting flange. Steel rims are usually 1/8", +/-. There is a shoulder on the hub where the wheel mounts that is roughly 3/8" wide.
Two aluminum rims bolted together is roughly 1/2" thick at the mounting surface, so the outer rim isn't well supported on the hub. A steel and an aluminum rim together is right about 3/8".
That is why an actual tire rotation requires dismounting and remounting the tire. The rims stay in the same physical position on the truck, but the tires get moved.;)
Fwiw , I've got 90k on a set of 19.5s, never been rotated. Keep everything tight and square, good shocks, etc, it can be done.
Of course burnouts and drift courses may cause different results!LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
I will say tread carefully, with aluminum inners. On my old dually I had spare aluminum wheels so I installed them on the inside. Had a tire shop do the work, had 35s and hub centric spacers. Developed a vibration on the rear, when I jacked up the rear of the truck, the pass side wheels almost fell off. I somehow snapped 7 studs on the axle.

Probably was the shop not torquing down the insider studs, I don’t know. All I know is when that happened, I replaced all of the studs on both sides of the axle and went back to steel never to try aluminum inners again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackseven

Reaction score
I also have steel rear inners and aluminum outers. Did any 17inch Dually wheel trucks come with aluminum inners? After a few years those alcoa rims with the durabright plastic coating start to corrode and pit underneath. I can't imagine what an inner would look like after 5 years. I had that finish stripped off and the rims polished. They look great now.

I had the front tires replaced on my 2011 DRW F-350 at 36,000 miles, Tire guy said most dually owners put less expensive tires on the front and just replace the fronts at ~30k after swapping them side to side every 5000 miles. I have ~14,000 miles on them and the insides are cupped. Steering is still stable, occasionally pulls a little. The suspension really likes to have weight on it. I've thought about having them dismounted and turned around, but I'll wait a bit longer. When I'm pulling my 5th wheel it's steady as a rock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online