Gtp38 on 1997 f250

bkiesler24

Reaction score
I've read around on this forum and others for awhile and never found what I was looking for so I decided to ask. I was wanting to know what a gtp38 will do with 1.5 injectors (30% over nozzles 30% over bodies come with life time warranty which is a big bonus to me). The truck is a work truck used to haul a trailer or a load in the bed making a delivery for work. I plan to get a new chip with my injectors made for them. I was wondering what the best performance I might be able to get out of the turbo before a upgrade. Also how much hp and torque can the 1997 7.3 powerstroke put out before the top end and bottom end start to give out. I've had this truck for 4 years in march I love it the obs was always a dream truck of mine. I've always wanted to put a big turbo injectors and build me a obs diesel muscle truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
The 38R is not drop in for the OBS trucks. KC turbo does sell a drop in TP38R turbo which is basically a 38R with a larger turbine wheel. They were also releasing a drop in turbo that is basically a ball bearing 66mm sxe turbo which should be very streetable. The new drop in is modeled after the S366sxe which has been a very successful turbo on the 7.3 platform. You can also use a SXE turbo but you will need a T4 turbo setup. Lots of options do some reading. You will want to consider EFuel system for those injectors. I recommend the Hydra chip. Many tuners tune on the Hydra platform and you can be emailed new tunes to try out and download the calibrations to the chip without removing the chip as long as you buy the extension cable.

Last edited:

bkiesler24

Reaction score
I was wondering because I got a pretty well new one on trade for some parts I have had laying around for over a year. I've been wanting to get a larger turbo for it for a while but it seems like everytime I got the money saved some other big expense would come up. I was wondering if it would be any good on my 7.3 or if I wasted my time drive to get it.

bkiesler24

Reaction score
So it's not gonna be a good turbo setup. The truck is a work/farm truck and used to haul a race car so reliability is key. I really want to get more hp and torque out of it. I don't need it I've never had a problem moving anything I've hooked to or load on to it I just want more power to make my truck more fun to drive. I've never got into building a performance diesel and need help I got the skill to do the work just not the know how to make everything perfect.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Do you have some coin to drop for a good and different setup? The SXE turbos are good. Just have to do different turbo mount and up pipes.

bkiesler24

Reaction score
Do you have some coin to drop for a good and different setup? The SXE turbos are good. Just have to do different turbo mount and up pipes.
Not alot of coin to drop on a new turbo. I just got the 38r on trade and was hopping it would be good. What's the limit on this turbo. What about with the upgrade kits they sell larger housings and a wicked wheel would anything get me close to what I want with good reliability without having to buy a whole new turbo.

bkiesler24

Reaction score
Would the 38r even be a step up from my stock turbo?

superpsd

Reaction score
It will. There are just better options. To install the 38R on an OBS you will need some superduty parts. Thats another expense that adds up. I would try selling the 38R for funds towards a SXE/T4 kit but thats just my opinion.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe you need the Superduty pedestal, up pipes, driver side exhaust manifold and turbo flange collector. Most of the time once you buy those parts you could have sold the 38R and bought a T4 setup and been a step ahead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online