5r to 4r

stroker221

Reaction score
I've had alot of problems with my trans. I worry about it more than pistons or anything else every time I get on it or retune it.
The 5r110's imo are junk and the 4r100's can handle power much better and never miss a beat with its fast and precise shifting. So lets say we have a truck anywhere from 6 to 1000hp and it goes down the 1/4 mile with a built 5r110 then right after that the same truck goes down the 1/4 with a built 4r100, which trans in your opinion will have the faster time? And which should last longer?

Any reason not to make the switch even at only 600hp?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I've had alot of problems with my trans. I worry about it more than pistons or anything else every time I get on it or retune it.
The 5r110's imo are junk and the 4r100's can handle power much better and never miss a beat with its fast and precise shifting. So lets say we have a truck anywhere from 6 to 1000hp and it goes down the 1/4 mile with a built 5r110 then right after that the same truck goes down the 1/4 with a built 4r100, which trans in your opinion will have the faster time? And which should last longer?

Any reason not to make the switch even at only 600hp?

Just a guess here, you need a different tuner, or you're not getting quality built transmissions.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
Need a lot more like a separate trans computer or something or another. I was always under the impression it's not just an easy swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
That's what it was. Whenever I was putting my BTS in I was going to swap to a 4R since it was cheaper but it ended up being more after the controller and the other stuff needed. I don't remember it all I just remember the quote was more.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Is this strictly a drag truck? If not why make the switch when there is plenty of built 5rs in high hp trucks like myself that does get abused and never skips a beat. Not everyone can build a 5r but there is several threads about who makes what. I've pulled mine and raced with 1k hp and it still performs perfect every time. Just my .02

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
Is this strictly a drag truck? If not why make the switch when there is plenty of built 5rs in high hp trucks like myself that does get abused and never skips a beat. Not everyone can build a 5r but there is several threads about who makes what. I've pulled mine and raced with 1k hp and it still performs perfect every time. Just my .02

Agreed! Built 4rs are great, but they also cost a lot of money, and a PCS controller is needed as stated above. We are currently doing a 4r swap in our race truck. But I have been running my built 5r for about a year now, racing and towing and its been great to me! Warren Diesel's Comp is what I'm running. Just really depends on what you are looking for and what the back pocket can take! I know of a couple truck that are daily driven, stock 6 liters with 4rs just for the reliability!

stroker221

Reaction score
Agreed! Built 4rs are great, but they also cost a lot of money, and a PCS controller is needed as stated above. We are currently doing a 4r swap in our race truck. But I have been running my built 5r for about a year now, racing and towing and its been great to me! Warren Diesel's Comp is what I'm running. Just really depends on what you are looking for and what the back pocket can take! I know of a couple truck that are daily driven, stock 6 liters with 4rs just for the reliability!

This is why id like a 4r, reliability. And I just hate the slowww shifts. And anyone can build a 4r but obviously not a 5r.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I was under the impression the most difficult for step for a 4r swap is getting the programming on your truck right (so it accepts there is no TCM). From what I was lead to believe, getting the stand alone isn't difficult, but will probably be $800ish for the controller. Depending on how big you go, my guess is you will have more in the 4r than building a 5r from a reputable vendor.

bad12jr

Reaction score
From reading old threads guys were swapping to 6spd pcm's so the truck never looked for a trans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

stroker221

Reaction score
From reading old threads guys were swapping to 6spd pcm's so the truck never looked for a trans.

I think that's to just keep the cell off? Idk but I thought someone got it figured out in a tune to where the cel never came on.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think that's to just keep the cell off? Idk but I thought someone got it figured out in a tune to where the cel never came on.

The only I can think of off the top of my head was Extreme's truck...and he didn't know why it wasn't on...but I haven't kept up with them over the last year and 1/2 so they may have figured it out.

bad12jr

Reaction score
^^^^^ same hear. Last time I researched it.

ingrahams

Reaction score
ive been running a BTS 4R with a PCS in my truck for over a year and it hasnt skipped a beat with 980 hp to the wheels. I have a CEL but most of the codes are from the engine build not the trans. Once i have the tuning right where i want it I'll work with Matt or Eric to try and get rid of the codes.
-Stew

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
ive been running a BTS 4R with a PCS in my truck for over a year and it hasnt skipped a beat with 980 hp to the wheels. I have a CEL but most of the codes are from the engine build not the trans. Once i have the tuning right where i want it I'll work with Matt or Eric to try and get rid of the codes.

-Stew

I was going to do this bc of the price difference in Brian's 5R vs 4R but after it was said and done and the headache the 4R was more. And my hp is only 600 so didn't see a "need" to to do the swap.

ingrahams

Reaction score
I knew I was going to be around 1000 hp and craig told me this was the trans to have for how I wanted to use the truck. I have never driven a truck with a built 5R so I couldnt tell you if there is a big difference, you would have to talk to the guys at MPD, pretty sure they picked up a fair bit of HP on the dyno after the swap. I know king kong was breaking shafts but I think that was fixed when Brian started using aermett shafts.

Members online

No members online now.