Oil Pan Gaskets

racerdad2

Reaction score
It's time for new oil pan gaskets on my 95 5sp 2nd eclb. What's the best-easiest way to git-r-dun in the driveway ? Thx !

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Pull the motor. The crossmember is just too close. And the motor is easy to pull. The other option is to pull the trans and jack the motor way up

racerdad2

Reaction score
Thx guys. She's leakin' like a sieve. ... my driveway has a fair incline. I usually park with the front uphill, facing the garage, to plug her in on cold nights. I backed in this afternoon to unload the back. With the azz end higher than the nose, the oil nearly poured out of the engine. Just parked, nose down, engine off.... Is there anything else that would leak that bad ?

Krause

Reaction score
Typically it has been always been sealed with a specific RTV from ford as billy mentioned, which made the job very difficult/impossible to do leaving the motor in, because the appropriate prep for proper RTV adhesion is tricky, really rolling the dice if you manage to finagle it in there without the motor pulled.

That said, Im pretty sure riffraff just recently released a gasket for this...
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/oil-pan-gasket/

^That *could* change the way people approach this job.. But if it were me because I already have an engine hoist, I would still just pull the motor.

Mahdeys

Reaction score
Thx guys. She's leakin' like a sieve. ... my driveway has a fair incline. I usually park with the front uphill, facing the garage, to plug her in on cold nights. I backed in this afternoon to unload the back. With the azz end higher than the nose, the oil nearly poured out of the engine. Just parked, nose down, engine off.... Is there anything else that would leak that bad ?

front seal

racerdad2

Reaction score
Front seal.... looks like I'm pulling the engine. ... y'all say it's ez... where do I find step-by-step instructions ? Any tips ? THX

old man dave

Reaction score
Front seal is in the oil pump cover. Should be able to get it by pulling the vibration damper and the oil pump cover. No engine pulling.

racerdad2

Reaction score
Thx old man... with 300k on the engine, I'm going to do the pan, too, & replace some other seals while it's out :)

racerdad2

Reaction score
I haven't decided on the Morosso. ... the gray goop has lasted a long time. Anybody have any long-term use with the new gasket ?

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
I don't think its been available for too long. I had read somewhere that it is very thick with metal sleeves to ensure you don't overtighten the bolts and ruin the gasket. Supposedly moves your oil pan 1/4-1/2 lower because its so thick.

racerdad2

Reaction score
I'm tempted to use it.... but, what a pita if it leaks ? Hmmmm

Krause

Reaction score
I'm tempted to use it.... but, what a pita if it leaks ? Hmmmm

Im not positive, but this is a quote from riffraffs site..

"Already this oil pan gasket has proven itself by cutting down on oil pan installation time and vehicle down time for one of the largest fleets of delivery vehicles in the world"

Sounds like it saw time in a fleet already.. Its pretty tempting.

racerdad2

Reaction score
Ok.... so it's quick & ez to install... the question is, does it last ? ;) I reckon I'll give it a go, after it stops snowing up here :)

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
I don't think its been available for too long. I had read somewhere that it is very thick with metal sleeves to ensure you don't overtighten the bolts and ruin the gasket. Supposedly moves your oil pan 1/4-1/2 lower because its so thick.

I was meaning .25-.5 inch lower because of gasket thickness.

JohnT24

Reaction score
OK,
It's been 7 years...
Anyone have a long term review/opinion on the Moroso pan and/or moroso gasket?

Latest posts

Members online