6.4 water pump cavitation

joedellavella6_4

Reaction score
i am installing a radiator on my truck this weekend due to the factory one leaking. 40,000 miles on truck. it is a 08... should i pull the pump and cover to look for the cavitation i know i heard something about the 08s ecspecially leaking. anyone done this? and can help further diganose this.

greasltn

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to look but most of the cavitation problems I've seen are on the 450 and 550s due to the lower gear ratio. If you pull the pump just look at the cover behind the pump to see if there is a problem, it will be very easy to tell if there is.

sootie

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to look but most of the cavitation problems I've seen are on the 450 and 550s due to the lower gear ratio. If you pull the pump just look at the cover behind the pump to see if there is a problem, it will be very easy to tell if there is.

educate me...how does the gear ratio affect aluminum corrosion behind the water pump?

to the OP: yes pulling the water pump is worthwhile to check...

tbsimmons

Reaction score
educate me...how does the gear ratio affect aluminum corrosion behind the water pump?

to the OP: yes pulling the water pump is worthwhile to check...

RPM of the engine spins the pump faster.
My theory on cavitation is letting air in the system, as in not keeping the degas bottle above the hose on the side.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
there are allot of things that can cause it

MY opinion is the lack of cooling system maintainance. Most people never check or change the coolant in thier engines ever.

RPM is a big factor but i just saw a 450 that runs 80 mph down the highway towing all the time have a flawless front cover, coolant changed every 40k miles, truck had 80k on it when the cover was inspected.

I also think keeping a good radiator cap on it also important, if the cooling system doesnt have pressure feeding the water pump and the pump as to pull harder from the lower hose it can also stir up air causing the cavitation.

Just my opinion here, but if i were you i would put in your new radiator with new coolant and be done with it

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
I just did my radiator a couple of Saturdays ago, and it's super easy. Very self explanatory. But I just thought of something? I drained the plugs on the motor but never thought twice about buying coolant at the store? Am I gonna kill something by using green coolant or do I have to use ford gold. It looks perfectly green still but doesn't the oil cooler hate it?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
the green stuff doesnt have the same stuff to fight off things that plug the coolers as well. ELC coolant is usually the coolant of choice, you are also supposed to run some sort of flush in the cooling system when making the change, even tho i rarely actually do that.

joedellavella6_4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. BTW I did the ELC coolant from cat in my truck as we'll I did a lot of research and it's just the safest route to go.... Be SURE to flush it very well green and red or red and gold don't mix lol good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk