38r to sxe

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I'm currently building an 02 tow pig. I'm looking for personal experiences with those that have sxe turbos. I currently have 175/80 pis injectors and a 38r. I really want lower end spool than the 38 delivers. I'm looking to hear from you guys that tow on how your sxe turbo does. Also what rpm you guys start building boost. What egts you guys see. I'm really hoping someone can chime in specifically on the s363sxe as that's the turbo I'm leaning towards.

The Brad

Reaction score
I have 200/80s which are basically the same as 175/80s and I couldn't be happier with the 364.5/74/.91. Mikeeg02 on here makes 15psi at 1500rpm with a 366 and 238/100s. I haven't found anyone who isn't happy with the SXE. There are several SXE threads in here. Here's mine pulling about 8k uphill in OD with a decent headwind. The EGTs didn't break 1200.
https://youtu.be/r_6V4NGfi98

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I have read quite a few threads about the 364.5 but haven't found much on the 363. Also most threads don't tell you how much psi at x rpms. I'm kinda torn between the 363 and 364.5.

JDelaney

Reaction score
I pull a 40' toy hauler and have no problems with low RPM boost. Tuning plays an important role as well. I mostly tow in my 80hp setting.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
A guy named Rusty1161 runs an 363sxe with 160/30 injectors. He talks about it a little bit in this thread.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79118

I'm also torn between the 364.5 and the 363. I don't plan to ever run any larger injectors and I want the best spool up for the money. I don't run my truck at red line anyways so I'm leaning toward the 363. Ill be following this thread.

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm running the 363 in my Excursion with stock injectors and it works very very well. Just towed the camper this weekend grossing about 18,000lbs and was very pleased. I plan to go up to 160/stock nozzles with this setup someday.
I would probably go with the 364.5 if you are running anything bigger than stock. The 363 will make north of 30 psi on 200,000 mile injectors.
Planning on going with the 366 in my truck which has 230/100s within the next month or so and will report back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bigfords

Reaction score
It pulls out very well. Not going to lite the tires up, but it is smooth and smoke free. This is with Matt's tuning.
At 1500 I think the most I would get would be 7, maybe 10 psi tops. I was trying on the way home tonight.
This is while smoke free. Some tuners will net you better/quicker spool up but you will have more smoke out the tailpipe.

bigfords

Reaction score
To give you a better idea, at 1500, it really doesn't want to downshift even if pulling a hill or accelerating.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
For all you guys bragging about boost at 1500rpms? Is that seriously where you are towing at? If so how high are your egts? How heavy?

I am dealing with a guy right now who is unhappy that while towing 7500lbs at 10,000ft in Colorado he has to downshift or he sees 1200-1300egts?

I saw a video posted in another thread where the guys pulls through from 1500-2000rpms but he still hits 1200egts.

I have looked at hp/tq curves of the 7.3 and at 1500rpms these trucks are making like 125hp.

The Brad

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is trying to tow at 1500 rpm, but the ability to do so is indicative of how manageable the EGTs will be at more appropriate towing rpm. My setup with the 38r made good power up top, but I had to keep it at 2500+rpm to keep the EGTs at 1200 while towing 10k which often forced me to 2nd gear over 3k rpm on a 6% grade. Many turbo reviews are subjective since most can only compare to what they know. Knowing what I know now, the best all around DD/towing turbo will spool early, not surge and still flow well up top, both on the compressor and exhaust side. So, IMHO, the vids showing low rpm/high boost are as valid as a wot pull while showing MAP vs. EBP. 1200 degrees doesn't scare me at all, and wouldn't expect to make much power under 2k.

Last edited:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
For all you guys bragging about boost at 1500rpms? Is that seriously where you are towing at? If so how high are your egts? How heavy?

I am dealing with a guy right now who is unhappy that while towing 7500lbs at 10,000ft in Colorado he has to downshift or he sees 1200-1300egts?

I saw a video posted in another thread where the guys pulls through from 1500-2000rpms but he still hits 1200egts.

I have looked at hp/tq curves of the 7.3 and at 1500rpms these trucks are making like 125hp.

The only reason I have videos showing boost at 1,500 rpms is to show how early boost can come on, because every one has a different opinion of when a turbo "spools up". I prefer to tow in OD on the highway, usually around 1,800-2,000 rpms and when rolling through hills prefer to lug it up but will shift if necessary. Not wanting to make a smoke show or slow down. I did a lot of research to match my turbo to my fuel, spent hours plotting on compressor maps, gave up after trying to read turbine maps and with a little bit of luck got it right.

That being said, I'm not sure I understand someone complaining about 1,200 degree egt readings. It sounds like they need to understand with a turbo sized to make good power on the big end, you need more heat on the small end to make the turbo work, as turbos work off of airflow (rpm) and heat. Less of one, requires more of the other. (And I know that you know all that) The point I'm trying to make is it sounds like your customer needs more education on how a turbo works. Plus at 10,000' he needs every advantage he can get, whether it be to slow down, increase rpm, or just stay home. LOL just kidding.

With my setup, sub 2,000 rpm I can make up the difference in lack of rpm with heat, but it won't push above 1,200-1,250 degrees in my second hottest file while towing, keeping things pretty smoke free. Im sure with someone elses tuning you could over fuel down low but I'm not trying to break anything.

MeTo

Reaction score
I would like to add. For us manual transmission owners, early spool/boost is very advantageous. It would be great not to have to rev the hell out of it in order to not have smoke when grabbing the next gear. I pull light and often at altitude.

For me ultimately, do I have to change my life to suit this engine or can I change this engine to suite my life? Hopefully not the slower turning "long legged" C option?

Ok I'm done, carry on.

Last edited:

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
following. Im ready to dump my 38R with mods in the sig what would you all recommend? Main focus is DD and being able to tow in OD. Rarely run it down the strip but would still like to retain some power up top

The Brad

Reaction score
following. Im ready to dump my 38R with mods in the sig what would you all recommend? Main focus is DD and being able to tow in OD. Rarely run it down the strip but would still like to retain some power up top

Mikeeg02 is running 238/100s and a 6 speed with the 366/74/1.0. Given that he can pull a hill grossing 24k+ at 1500rpm, I think it would be a great fit with your setup having an auto trans.

Latest posts

Members online