Problems with tuning please help

texans

Reaction score
Guys I have an 08 6.4 at my shop that I can't get to take tune. Can't get it figured out and wanting to see if anyone on here might have a suggestion. So here's the story on it.

Pulled truck in shop did egr delete and dpf delete. Truck had a superchip on it at the time. Went to remove SC and it gave error while uninstalling. Battery too low. Hooked up charger and got SC off truck. Went to load an SCT X-4 with custom tunes to truck. X-4 kept freezing whole saving stock file. Put battery charger on truck, still same thing. Ended up putting brand new batteries on truck with charger hooked up. Still nothing. Well during all this freezing failed loading ended up bricking the PCM. Sent it off along with TCM and x-4 to the tuner for repair. While that was out we grabbed a PCM and TCM off a different truck. Flashed it to this one with our IDS. Started trying to load a tune on it using a different SCT. Still froze while saving stock file. So thought something wrong with the X-4. Grabbed an H&S off self and tryed it. H&S will get part way though loading trans tune and freeze. Took two days to get the H&S back out of recovery mode and off truck. Fast FWD a few days and we get the original PCM TCM back from tuner. Tuner said they were able to bench flash it no problems. So we load it to the truck. Use the IDS to setup everything again. Tryed X-4 still same thing. Tryed H&S still same thing. Now truck is back to tune stuck in it from H&S and H&S stuck in recovery mode since it only got to 33% loaded on trans file before just freezing up. I don't know what is going on with it.

So quick recap - truck won't take trans files - tryed 2 different PCM and TCM - tryed 2 different SCT and a Mini Max - tuner was able to bench flash PCM and TCM no problem - 2 brand new batteries and a charger hooked up still no help.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to get as much info in as I could. Hope it makes since and someone here can help out.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
has the cab been off of the truck before?

FIRST step with communication issues on a 6.4 is:

re-seat the connectors in the driver's fender well, at the PCM (sounds like you've done this with your PCM swapping!), and even at the smart junction box in the passenger kick panel

I've seen HOURS/DAYS of tail-chasing get resolved by step one...

step 2 is a whole other mess! LOL

texans

Reaction score
I haven't messed with drivers side plugs yet. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Will try it.

texans

Reaction score
As far as cab being off. I don't know. We haven't pulled it, but it could have in the past

texans

Reaction score
Well that didn't work. Still same thing. Forgot to mention that I was able to recover the files back off H&S this morning. So truck is back to stock program, but still won't load a file. I'm leaning towards something being wrong with TCM wire harness. My next step is going to be taking harness off another 6.4 that we have can in air to try out. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Well that didn't work. Still same thing. Forgot to mention that I was able to recover the files back off H&S this morning. So truck is back to stock program, but still won't load a file. I'm leaning towards something being wrong with TCM wire harness. My next step is going to be taking harness off another 6.4 that we have can in air to try out. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

You should try to use a different HDMI cable for the minimaxx and see if that helps.

texans

Reaction score
Tryed that already. Forgot to mention that. Plus installed it on a different truck just to be sure nothing wrong with it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
what a PITA

I love 6.4's, but they are testy bitches when it comes to comm issues like this :eek:

Only time I've seen similar nightmare from 6.7 trucks are trucks that have been in head-on collisions. Had to replace a harness and PCM on one and spoke with a service writer who had the exact same issue.

Good luck with it and PLEASE update the thread when you get it figured out!

texans

Reaction score
Update for anyone looking in the future. After 2 weeks of messing with this truck off and on finally figured out what was going on 2 days ago. It turned out the RSM (restraint system module) was fried causing communication issue on the canbus system. Removed the seats and unplugged it. Tuning works flawless. Order a new one now and when it comes in this nightmare will be gone.

Reaction score
Update for anyone looking in the future. After 2 weeks of messing with this truck off and on finally figured out what was going on 2 days ago. It turned out the RSM (restraint system module) was fried causing communication issue on the canbus system. Removed the seats and unplugged it. Tuning works flawless. Order a new one now and when it comes in this nightmare will be gone.

Seen that over and over.

texans

Reaction score
The other thing was this truck had an aftermarket remote start/alarm installed on it with the worst wiring I've ever seen. Who ever wired that thing in was an idiot. Wires were just twisted together and taped over. Customer didn't know anything about it. So I completely removed all of it and fixed the wires. I actually think that's what got the RSM.

Latest posts

Members online