Is HPFP leak into motor possible

Lmgrpowerstroke

Reaction score
Has anyone had their hpfp leak into the engine. Is it even possible for it to do so. Been tracing down problems on this motor. I have a fuel leak into the oil. Put roughly 4 gallons in 25 miles.

I've put new injector orings
Injector lines
Heads are new

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Yes it is possible, but I'm not going to say for sure that is your issue. I can't remember the procedure for checking that, hopefully someone else will chime in. Could be an injector as well. If I remeber correctly, if you have the truck at idle and increase injection pressure using IDS or equivalent scan tool, it may show a problem with an injector(s) that isn't noticed under normal conditions.

I think if you open the oil drain, drain all the oil out, command the low pressure fuel pump on, look to see if fuel comes out the oil drain. I believe that was the procedure. Worth a shot I'm sure as you will be draining the oil soon with that much dilution.

When did this problem start to occur?

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I would check the low pressure systems supply pressure first. Then move to the injector lines and make sure they arent loose. If you still don't find anything have somebody do a check with IDS to get the pressure up high enough to make it leak(unless you can make a file with MCC to command 24k rail) And if all that checks out you could very well have a cracked head.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Yes it is possible, but I'm not going to say for sure that is your issue. I can't remember the procedure for checking that, hopefully someone else will chime in. Could be an injector as well. If I remeber correctly, if you have the truck at idle and increase injection pressure using IDS or equivalent scan tool, it may show a problem with an injector(s) that isn't noticed under normal conditions.

I think if you open the oil drain, drain all the oil out, command the low pressure fuel pump on, look to see if fuel comes out the oil drain. I believe that was the procedure. Worth a shot I'm sure as you will be draining the oil soon with that much dilution.

When did this problem start to occur?

Definately a good idea!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
12 psi is probably too much for that stock pump, im betting its pushed the seal out or that old worn out seal just cant take it anymore

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I think the stock pressure is around 3-5 psi. But I'm not positive on that. I think a lot of guys run 10 psi, but some have run as high as 20. But that I think is a bit much. Dustin is a great guy to get you squared away on this!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yup these engines are awesome LOL

like stated above the pressure from the factory is 3-5 psi, there is a transfer pump built into the injection pump so basically all the stock pump needs is pressure no vacuum so to speak. i ran my air dog at 10 psi but realisitcally it ran about 7 psi under a load.

No as far as i know the only thing available is reman pumps. Sucks to replace that thing just for the damn seal leaking too.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Ahh ok. It would be nice to have a seal that would work, that way if you get a reman pump thats leaking you don't have to return it. Just change the seal an your good.(as long as its still good otherwise)

Latest posts

Members online