Anyone know of some high quality lug nuts?

Clean-15

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm getting a new set of wheels and tires and I'm tired of cheap azz rusty lug nuts. Anyone know of a decent brand that will hold up? Thanks!!

Zmann

Reaction score
I always use Gorilla locks SYSTEM all 32 are locks

never had a socket issue nor any rusting / chrome peel but i do live in az lol ( image is just a sample of what they look like )

s-l500.jpg

Clean-15

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in Seattle, after a year here I'm afraid those rust. Maybe I just need to replace them yearly... I saw some from a place in Florida Diesel Cartel but they were like $800. I want decent but not crazy!

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I had a set of gorilla ones on my old truck with aftermarket wheels. Held up good in PA, so we see a lot of road salt, etc. Also:

GorillaCatalog2016_Page_04.jpg

Clean-15

Reaction score
That's awesome, I'll try that, thank you!! Yeah they salt the roads in PA right?

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Find some stainless steel capped lug nuts. I've had mine for over 10 years and they still look like new. They are now std on many Oem apps and have fantastic cosmetic durability.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I would highly advise against those actually. Far too often the outer jacket comes loose in a fashion that is really upsetting. If it happened to me on a roadside changing tires I'd be quite upset. It's miserable enough in a garage when it comes loose, but isn't loose enough to remove from the actual nut, and this becomes amplified by deep socketed aluminum wheel recessions. I won't ever use a two piece out nut in my life again.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I would highly advise against those actually. Far too often the outer jacket comes loose in a fashion that is really upsetting. If it happened to me on a roadside changing tires I'd be quite upset. It's miserable enough in a garage when it comes loose, but isn't loose enough to remove from the actual nut, and this becomes amplified by deep socketed aluminum wheel recessions. I won't ever use a two piece out nut in my life again.
I doubt we are talking the same thing then. If the covering ever came off of these, and I don't see that happening, you would still be left with a steel lug nut. I bought these sometime in 04 or 05 so I don't know even the brand all I know is that was after 2 sets of Dorman (stop laughing, I learned) that would rust and flake almost immediately, while stainless covered ones still look perfect after many tire rotations and removals for 12+ years.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
18300-4-2.jpg

Thats what I am talking about, and when the cap comes loose, yes there is the steel lug nut still holding the wheel. The problem is as the cap gets loose, it can spin over the actual steel nut holding the wheel on. But it may not come loose enough to easily pull the cap off whats holding the wheel. Generally, when the cap comes loose, its because someone has used a metric socket on a standard lug, or vice versa. (Too many shops have a flip socket on their impact, either in standard or metric, not always both. I see it alot) The other thing that happens is the steel nut corrodes and the cap swells. Then you cant get the appropriate size socket on, and then when you go to turn it, it will come loose, but the retainer will keep you from easily removing it. Which again, further is amplified/made more complicated by aluminum wheels that have recessed lug nuts, then it is hard to pull them out, and often the torch is the only method for removal.

Jeeps were notorious for having crappy two piece lug nuts like that. I wont ever buy a lug nut thats not a solid one piece design again. Your results may vary though.

16yrenthusiest

Reaction score
Been running a set of the Gorilla lifetime lugs on my OBS for roughly 7 years now. A quick polish and they look like new. I'm in Canada so road salt is always excessive her.
Just had to replace a set of stock nuts on a 2013 Escape because a lot of the stainless caps got moisture behind then froze, causing the socket to not fit or they spun on the steel inner.