Turbo decision

dsberman94

Reaction score
He definitely knows his stuff, that's for sure. I'm sure yours will be stout. Man though, 4 months is rough. Hard to do my farm work in the audi...

I'll also be on the prowl for a used unit from one of the big name builders if I can find a good deal.

Why not a twisted unit?

7.3obs

Reaction score
What level twisted unit would easily handle 650+ ? I actually talked to BTS on Monday and they said about 2 weeks to build right now which was a big difference from last time I called.

When I talked to him he was two months out, this was about a year ago. The man knows his chit for sure!!

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I've never heard of BTS being only 2 weeks out. Wonder if he slowed down or has more guys working for him.

If you need one more transmission to look at check out Dieselsite. I don't have firsthand experience with the trans, but they are known to put out a quality product.

dsberman94

Reaction score
What level twisted unit would easily handle 650+ ? I actually talked to BTS on Monday and they said about 2 weeks to build right now which was a big difference from last time I called.

You'd have to call them. I just gave another option for a builder. Might ask Danny Elmore who built his 4r since he is putting just shy of 1000 to his and using all of it on a regular basis. I know he used to have a twisted 5r, not sure who he went with for the 4r.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Talked with Matt today from irate. Guess I'm going to be ordering a s472sxe, injectors, swamps comp springs and stage 2 push rods, and headstud before this weekend. Matt suggested ******** tunes also to keep the rods happy.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
That's gonna be fun. I'm so antsy looking at my 472 every day. Found a 2wd BTS that im thinking about sending in to swap it to 4x4, but gotta see what that Will cost.

Where you located ?

7.3obs

Reaction score
That's gonna be fun. I'm so antsy looking at my 472 every day. Found a 2wd BTS that im thinking about sending in to swap it to 4x4, but gotta see what that Will cost.

Where you located ?

I probably won't be smiling when the rods blow through the block. I don't think having Brian swap a 2 wheel drive to 4 would be too much. I'm pretty excited for the 72!

I'm in NY

Last edited:

PABowhunter

Reaction score

Where you located ?

It's only a few hundred if I remember correctly. He did that for me. What kills you is the shipping.

7.3obs

Reaction score
I hope it stays together!! And dieseljpower if you do go through with it and send it to Brian, have him go through it. I got mine used and ended up having to send it to Brian and the front pump was gone, he rebuilt it, new torque converter and tuned it for 600. It was 900$ to have it shipped and fixed. All he charged me for was the pump and like PAbowhunter the shipping was what got expensive.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I hope it stays together!! And dieseljpower if you do go through with it and send it to Brian, have him go through it. I got mine used and ended up having to send it to Brian and the front pump was gone, he rebuilt it, new torque converter and tuned it for 600. It was 900$ to have it shipped and fixed. All he charged me for was the pump and like PAbowhunter the shipping was what got expensive.

Its still in the crate and hasn't been installed since he got it from Brian. The other thing is the guy had it setup for stock injectors so I'm sure it will need a little tweaking. Did he mention anything about warranty since its second hand to you ?

7.3obs

Reaction score
Its still in the crate and hasn't been installed since he got it from Brian. The other thing is the guy had it setup for stock injectors so I'm sure it will need a little tweaking. Did he mention anything about warranty since its second hand to you ?

Brian didn't say anything about warrnaty. He tweaked it for 600 new torque converter and rebuilt it like I said. All he charged me for was front pump and shipping. I told them I did buy it used too.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Good deal.

So when your parts show up, are you gonna install everything and do the motor swap asap ? I got my motor with the studs, springs, and p-rods, already in it. Seems like it would be alot easier to install everything while the motor is on a stand, vs while the motor is in the truck so you got that going for you too.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Good deal.

So when your parts show up, are you gonna install everything and do the motor swap asap ? I got my motor with the studs, springs, and p-rods, already in it. Seems like it would be alot easier to install everything while the motor is on a stand, vs while the motor is in the truck so you got that going for you too.

The current motor I have in the truck has A lot of issues, leaky uppipes that sure aren't going to get fixed along with other problems. I bought a truck from vt that had new leaf springs, rebuilt transmission that I've ran hard for the last year in my work truck and a good running motor, paid 750$ for it. The motors on the stand right now. Melling lpop sitting on the shelf for low pressure and I plan to pull bed, front clip off of the truck that's getting all of the goodies and swap them all in at once. Pulling bed to to replace rear and front tank with a 35 gallon with a 5/8 sump. Kinda want to do this once and be done with it. I have a lot of seals and oil pan to buy yet.

If worst comes to worst I do drop a rod. Got a line on a 115k van motor with two wheel drive trans for 650$. Been wanting to build this truck since I got it when I was 16. I'm going on 24 now.

7.3obs

Reaction score
ccb38a42df9b64b4502289e1f3757236.jpg
turbos here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.