Radioflyer

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Monday is the day for the trans to go in...finally...:fustrate:..... shortly after install a dyno run w/video. Hoping what i've figured out will help it. Some tweaks it feels stronger even with the stock trans worn out trans. :joy:

Csilva187

Reaction score
Monday is the day for the trans to go in...finally...:fustrate:..... shortly after install a dyno run w/video. Hoping what i've figured out will help it. Some tweaks it feels stronger even with the stock trans worn out trans. :joy:

All ears, what ya figure and tweak?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Played with the LP fueling. from what I can tell so far, it didn't feel like it was getting enough fuel to it. On level 2, it feels stronger then level 3 on the xrt did. So once i'm on the rollers will I be able to see what or if any gains have been made. As it sits, 570 is all I could get outta it before it heat soaked on the dyno. Like to see what all it will do with this setup before I change chargers.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Drop the truck off at 630pm for the trans :redspotdance:

Looking like 2-3 weeks for the GTX4088R to go on....ooops.. :evil

Radioflyer

Reaction score
On the lift...with cab on! LOL Trans is about to get some love

radio_zpscea2ff38.jpg

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Will do. Rear main was leaking so had to fix that first. I have huge faith in Ultimate Trans, his work is awesome and attention to detail. We use him on our duramax trans builds and 90% of our dodge builds. No stranger to building a trans; local cummins living one by him with 1500+ hp to the ground and many 800+ hp builds under his belt with allisons, dodges, and torque shifts and 4r100's...plus it comes with a warranty....3yr/100k. I know it's in good hands. :thumbsup:

Radioflyer

Reaction score
No more flared shifts! Thing holds gear like it's nothing. Now just load up the new tune and see how she does. So far, night and day difference. :rockon:

Radioflyer

Reaction score
So the snag I ran into was the charger went out again. Granted this one lasted longer than the first. Talking with jacob, we're gonna throw a a smaller charger to it. I honestly don't think that a stock truck with stock heads can run at 5k or higher in elevation on a 71. The issues I was running into that made me think that, our elevation here in meridian and boise is 28XXft above sea level. Around here, it runs great, drives good, no surging, no barking etc. When climbing grades at higher elevation, going to 5000+, it would start to surge. Of course, this was in lower RPM and so I'd drop a gear and get the rpms up to get the charger back in it's efficiency range. Well that wasnt the case, in the higher eleveations...on multiple attempts to get it to not surge, the surge would get worse, and to the point the whole truck would start bucking. Wanna scare the hell outta your wife/girlfriend...do that. LOL Anyways, along with the surging, when coming up to a stop sign in that particular area (right at 5300ft above sea level) I would drive the truck like I would at home getting on the free way. Accelerate the same, and each shift the charger when bark....when the converter locked up sounded like the 3-stooges going at it under the hood. :morons: Shortly after this trek, that's when I noticed some smoke coming out the tail pipe when the truck was cold. And when I pulled the intercooler pipes off to check them after the trans build, oil all through the plumbing after the charger going into the intercooler. Sooo...gonna throw this smaller charger and see how she does. Got a nice drive coming up to McCall (similar drive as where I had the issues) and see how it does. Then turn around (hopefully have the GTX) and do the drive to our cabin up in anderson ranch. Thank you jacob for the support, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score
The guys running this turbo at lower elevations seem to love it. And there are multiple guys running it on Dmax trucks in Colorado and Wyoming without issue. Maybe the wheel sizes are just too close and the poor head flow of the 6.4 is causing troubles once you get up in elevation. Hard to say. But in interested to see how a smaller compressor side drives for you.

I would like to note however, that your first failure wasn't the turbos fault or a 'warranty' issue. Anytime dirt and debris are sent through the oil inlet, you can count on bearing failure to happen quickly.

Latest posts