6.4 pull truck mild build

devdiesel

Reaction score
Looks great Ty, you still going to be at Fergus this weekend, I want to see it! We have quite the crew going I think along with 3 trailers

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Already a lot of people telling me it's too nice of a truck to make into a pull truck

Looks great Ty, you still going to be at Fergus this weekend, I want to see it! We have quite the crew going I think along with 3 trailers

Yep I'll be there tomorrow night and Saturday to watch, bringing the truck Both nights

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Well after some testing for sled pulling the trans is acting up now, 3rd gear boosted launch. Now has a shudder when going into reverse, only when the trans is up to full temp, doesn't do it when cold, had a shudder in drive the first day it started acting up but it went away after I added another litre of trans fluid, any ideas where to start? I searched and found a few guys with reverse shudder problems but none that show what fixed it in the end other then buying a whole new transmission, I'll be pulling the trans down this weekend to fix the oil leak so it's not a huge deal for me to open the trans back up again. I rebuilt it using tsc's xtreme rebuild kit w/gpz clutches, billet OD planetary housing and a billet L/R ring gear FYI, any help is appreciated!

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Get a gauge and check your pressure to start with. Then see where your at.

Thanks I'll start there, I know the shifter linkage is not adjusted properly cause there's been about 4 occasions it wouldn't start while in park, also the shifter is very hard to pull down thru the ranges, but not sure if that would be causing the problems I'm having with the shudder.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
When I had a shudder in reverse, all my direct clutches were shot.

Edit: Misread. cracked reverse hub?

Not really sure, it only does it when it's up to full temp, it's not a serious shudder, most people might not even notice it but I do, the fluid still looks brand new, I know right before it started acting up after I did the boosted launch the truck snuffed itself out after i let off the throttle too quick and it was very hard to start back up again, thought maybe it could be a programming issue, going to try re-tuning it tomorrow and see if it does anything.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Well after pulling the pan down yesterday I found a lot of metal shavings and debris
agajabyb.jpg

The truck drove fine for the whole week before i stopped driving it, when it would get up to operating temp it would have a small shudder in reverse but that's it, until the day before I stopped driving it when it started getting stuck in 4th gear when I would slow down to a stoplight, still shifted fine up until that point, what do you guys think? Transmission or torque converter? I noticed when driving it my cts would say the convertor would lock but I could feel it lock on about 3-5 seconds later, I'd like to re use the tc since it's a new precision 2200 but I'd hate to put it in a freshly built trans to find out it was the converter that had failed and left all the metal in the pan. Any help would be great.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope no codes, no wrench light or anything, it doesn't seem to be getting stuck in 4th as much as it seems it wants to shift itself up into 4th gear, like I can get it back down to 1st but it goes right back into 4th right away.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Havent updated this thread in awhile, after having converter issues that took out the pump in the trans I threw in a stock trans and converter for now to get me back on the road, seems to be working good so I took it to a local bush pull this weekend and hooked it up to the sled, only have a video of the first pull, I was test puller so the sled was light on my first run, let off at the end cause the track was ending, very loose track, truck was bouncing off the rev limiter at 4450 the whole pull, pulled again at the end and ended up taking 3rd place out of 15 trucks, only weighed in at 7600 pounds in a 8500 lbs class, no suspension stops installed yet, pretty happy with it for a first hook!
heres the video

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
I'll try and get ahold of a video of the 2nd hook, only seen 1 so far on Facebook, launch was way better then the first pull. What's everyone think about having Matt at gearhead add more rpm to my tuning? Say 4800? The truck still has stock connecting rods, but has the stage 2 valvetrain kit and cam, will be pulling on a much tighter track this Saturday, and may be hanging weight and installing suspension stops, hoping not to hit the rev limiter again

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
talk to your engine builder, about your engine, and where he wants you to set your rev limiter at.

i assure you, it dont matter where you want it, it matters where he wants it.

if you dont have a engine builder, decide on who you want to build it, and start the process with him. i have this, this, this, etc etc in it, want to do this, what you think.

i realize thats what your trying to do here, but thats a question you should aim specifically at your engine builder.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
talk to your engine builder, about your engine, and where he wants you to set your rev limiter at.

i assure you, it dont matter where you want it, it matters where he wants it.

if you dont have a engine builder, decide on who you want to build it, and start the process with him. i have this, this, this, etc etc in it, want to do this, what you think.

i realize thats what your trying to do here, but thats a question you should aim specifically at your engine builder.

I built the engine, but with parts from Morgan at midwest diesel, he said 4500rpm awhile ago so I guess I'll stay there for now, hopefully adding weight and suspension stops will help with the traction issues and keep it from revving so high when sled pulling, I guess we'll see this weekend.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I built the engine, but with parts from Morgan at midwest diesel, he said 4500rpm awhile ago so I guess I'll stay there for now, hopefully adding weight and suspension stops will help with the traction issues and keep it from revving so high when sled pulling, I guess we'll see this weekend.

Good luck this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.