midwest diesel single kit, yay or nay???

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
im serisouly thinking about purchasing a midwest diesel single kit, just bouncing back and fourth between the pros and cons. maybe yall will have somethings to add, or correct me on, but heres what i came up with so far lol

pros
more top end power
easier to work on
cheaper to fix / repair
easy to make improvements
and the sound of a single, cant be beat lol

cons:
not asresponsive as compounds
EGT's higher while cruising around town
builds boost way later(compared to stock compounds)
decrease in fuel mileage? (by how much?)

im only comparing single to compounds because im trying to decide between this kit, or barder 73/59 setup. this kit is cheaper, i could upgrade easier.

anything yall could elaborate on PLEASE chime in any info is appreciated

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Morgans customer service is top notch and he pretty much will respond to you 24/7 if you need help. I had his single kit with stock HPFP and stock nozzles and the truck would straight rip with any of the S300 series turbos. Only reason I took his kit off is because my direction with the truck has changed, so with end goal changes comes parts changes.

To answer a few of your concerns:

With Matt's tuning the truck was very responsive all things considered.

My fuel economy if anything went up slightly.

Higher cruising around town egts yes, but nothing out of control. But also cooler WOT egt's. I was hard pressed to break 1300

Most of this info is general info for 6.4 single turbos. Morgans kit specifically fits very well and went together very easy.

Last edited:

johnp115

Reaction score
Sounds like you already know the pros and cons. The next part is just doing it and seeing if you like it.

I dont think there is a loss in mpg. There may be a slight increase. I posted this in another thread but trust me, there's some good info in these threads.

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
thanks for the info bud! my truck looks like yours twin! haha except mine is black

i think im pretty dead set on doing it., ive been reading up on it a lot lately and i like to be different, and a single 6.4 in my area is unheard of (that i know of lol) is there any supporting mods i need to do, to run this kit safely? up pipes? studs? pistons?

Sounds like you already know the pros and cons. The next part is just doing it and seeing if you like it.

I dont think there is a loss in mpg. There may be a slight increase. I posted this in another thread but trust me, there's some good info in these threads.

johnp115

Reaction score
thanks for the info bud! my truck looks like yours twin! haha except mine is black

i think im pretty dead set on doing it., ive been reading up on it a lot lately and i like to be different, and a single 6.4 in my area is unheard of (that i know of lol) is there any supporting mods i need to do, to run this kit safely? up pipes? studs? pistons?

Mods that's will make it a ton more likeable... Which I would highly recommend... 6.0 manis, Uppipes, upgraded intercooler piping, and a ported intake would allow that to breathe real good.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Shameless plug. I've got Morgans pedestal and two S300 series turbos for sale! :)

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48494

All the info you could ever want is right in that link
I plan on going with Morgans kit when I get the money together and going to do the billet upgrade. For the price you can't beat it. I been on this forum for a long time and I never seen a negitive comment about Morgan

yeah man i read up on that, as SOON as i get the money i will be buying one, billet upgrade as well.

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
Mods that's will make it a ton more likeable... Which I would highly recommend... 6.0 manis, Uppipes, upgraded intercooler piping, and a ported intake would allow that to breathe real good.

ok cool, sounds good! i didnt see anyone in those threads talk about an increase in fuel mileage though lol only re-learning how to drive with a single. i get around 16-17mpg now, what would i get with a single with matts tunes?

johnp115

Reaction score
ok cool, sounds good! i didnt see anyone in those threads talk about an increase in fuel mileage though lol only re-learning how to drive with a single. i get around 16-17mpg now, what would i get with a single with matts tunes?

Hand calculated?

You'll get around the same mpg, hard to say what exact mileage you'll get cause every truck is very different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
Hand calculated?

You'll get around the same mpg, hard to say what exact mileage you'll get cause every truck is very different

yeah hand calc. and thats good to know lol PM'ed that gentlemen about his parts. maybe we can work a deal!! :D im ready to have a single turbo man, EGT's will be closely monitored when it gets installed lol

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Yeah I bet that 367 would be a very fun turbo for the OP

It was my favorite turbo out of all the ones I tried on the single kit. Great spool up and top end power.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I didn't know you were changing directions. Are you gonna do a thread?

Eventually, but it will be a little while. I need to save some $$$ to do everything I want.

Not to derail the thread, but what part of WV you in?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Eventually, but it will be a little while. I need to save some $$$ to do everything I want.

Not to derail the thread, but what part of WV you in?

35 miles south of Morgantown just off 79

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I'm currently working in pennsboro, about 25 min west of clarksburg which was why I was asking what part you were from

Latest posts

Members online