EBP ??

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
How much different can my exhaust back pressure be before it's a problem? A little about the truck.

08,6.4 4" turbo back exhaust. Afe stage 2 intake. BD CAC, h&s black max on hot tune. Usually running the 175hp tune.

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
What should I do if it does? This is more for information. I don't really bag on the truck. Just want to keep ahead of potential problems

Stroked777

Reaction score
Only time you will see those numbers are if you really push the truck. Other than that you could get a waste hate set up to control it. But I don't see the point on stock fuel and turbos

sootie

Reaction score
Only time you will see those numbers are if you really push the truck. Other than that you could get a waste hate set up to control it. But I don't see the point on stock fuel and turbos

from personal experience-a gate is necessary with a race tune and stock HP turbo.

the danger with high back pressure is cracked uppipes, and high stress on the valvetrain including floating the valves causing valve to piston contact.

sootie

Reaction score
mine is gated at 67 absolute and i have springs and pushrods. a little less that that on stock parts i would think.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well after a test on the 250 tune, it only hit 57.

Since you aren't studded, that would be a little more than I would want to see on a Job 1 or 2. I suggest following the numbers already provided and have funds set aside to do studs when the HG blows...and a few other upgrades while you are in there....nothing like forced upgrades.

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
True. Egr delete is next and then trans or studs. Which ever comes first. Lol but like I said I rarely drive it real hard. Almost never wot. Maybe 80% or so. Rarely see over 32psi

Stroked777

Reaction score
FWIW hold off on the egr delete until studs, some say that the egr acts kind of like a waste gate and it will be forced open under high ebp situations, so it could save the gaskets a little longer

sootie

Reaction score
FWIW hold off on the egr delete until studs, some say that the egr acts kind of like a waste gate and it will be forced open under high ebp situations, so it could save the gaskets a little longer

not exactly. with factory tuning, the egr opens at WOT thus reducing backpressure. it doesnt get "forced" open

B585Ford

Reaction score

I have seen this posted many times. Do you or anyone else have any data to support this claim? It might be true, but I have never come across anyone who prove this is actually the case....not come across anyone who has proof it doesn't happen either.

sootie

Reaction score
it doesn't get forced open. i ran HD300 with egr intact for two years and there was water (moisture from the heat cycles) trapped before the valve and it wouldn't have been there if the valve had been forced open.

on another truck i did the same thing and when i put it back to stock it threw an egr code because the valve was carboned shut

Stroked777

Reaction score
I had a guy from a performance shop tell me that he did a egr delete on a truck without studs and about 50 hard miles after the delete it blew the HG. I don't have data but I have heard it from other people several times. And I'm not talking about factory tuning. I'm talking on a tuned truck

B585Ford

Reaction score
I had a guy from a performance shop tell me that he did a egr delete on a truck without studs and about 50 hard miles after the delete it blew the HG. I don't have data but I have heard it from other people several times. And I'm not talking about factory tuning. I'm talking on a tuned truck

I blew mine within 10 miles of doing Tbars. Obviously the Tbars didn't cause it..it was simply a coincidence. I would love to see someone data log EBP with and w/o the EGR or at least with the EGR to see if suddenly quits going up at WOT.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I would like to see data as well. I'm just relaying what someone in a reputable diesel performance shop and has been around a long time in the the game told me

Latest posts

Members online