broken crankshaft

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen one? This is a first for me, cracked between i think 4 rod journal, truck sounded like hell but drove itself on the trailer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Crack85

Reaction score
genu3ype.jpg

Here's one. Happened to someone earlier on this forum. This is the one myself and JD are talking about.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i need to double check but i think mine is one rod journal ahead of that

This is that dually i bought JD

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
what about an oil pump ? anyone have a geyser out of the front crank seal yet? at 90psi of boost ? that's pretty cool IMO . rod bearings and turbos LOVE it when that happens.

jdgleason

Reaction score
i need to double check but i think mine is one rod journal ahead of that

This is that dually i bought JD

Crazy. Have you looked at it close yet? Any idea what caused it or if there was a flaw or a previous crack or something?

I remember when Nathannial's broke you were thinking it had a flaw/crack that happened before it finally let go is what I mean.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Crazy. Have you looked at it close yet? Any idea what caused it or if there was a flaw or a previous crack or something?

I remember when Nathannial's broke you were thinking it had a flaw/crack that happened before it finally let go is what I mean.

Its still in the engine now i just found the crack

I would bet money this had been going on from day one. 6.4s rarely break cranks period let alone on a truck thats been 280 hp its whole life. 160K miles. Only thing about this one is i think the thing has been beating itself up so bad the evidence might be gone.

I hope to have the crank out thursday. I have a crank from the last motor i bought for a block so this works out well.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Huh. Ya that's nuts to see one broken. Come to think of it I don't know that I've seen a 6.0 break one that I recall (I'm sure a few have) but I bet you're right - probably something that was a long time coming. Let me know what you find

Stroked777

Reaction score
Could a hydro lock situation cause this? A hung injectors slowing filling the bowl of the piston until there was so much in there and broke it while running? What happened before it broke? Highway cruising, towing, idling?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
A rod will bend or break long before the crank breaking like I said this is from machining at the factory

sasquatch24

Reaction score
I also had my first broke crank 6.4 come in the the shop this week. truck was a f-450 used for hot shot hauling
IMG_0835_zpsd01cd95a.png

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thats pretty much how mine is broke as well but it doesnt look like it got that far into the rod journal, but im pretty sure mines broke in the exact same spot.

How did the rest of the engine look when you got it apart

sasquatch24

Reaction score
Thats pretty much how mine is broke as well but it doesnt look like it got that far into the rod journal, but im pretty sure mines broke in the exact same spot.

How did the rest of the engine look when you got it apart

the block was fine. the main bearing right where the break was looked pretty bad but it never spun. the rod bearing on #7 did spin tho. sent the block to the machine shop to get cleaned, decked, and checked. had a good used crank that i had polished and put one new rod in it. she is back in business hauling again

Latest posts

Members online