OBS e fuel options

zilla68

Reaction score
I am looking to pull the trigger but need some advice.

230/100 injectors.

will the OBS complete fuel system be enough or do I need the OBS complete race set up?

I'm going to go ahead and install a 38 gallon bronco tank where my rear tank is and I have that on hand now, so I am looking for some guidance.

Also, do the stock lines that run from the tank up to the motor stay or do you strip all that out?

zilla68

Reaction score
also, do you have the install instructions posted on the site somewhere, I thought I saw them before, but I'm not seeing them now.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
will the OBS complete fuel system be enough or do I need the OBS complete race set up?
For that much injector, the basic e-fuel kit will NOT keep up. The pump is too small. You will need the "Race" setup. When Bosch pumps are in stock and no longer on back-order, we can do the Race setup as either the single Fuelab pump...or "Dual Bosch Pumps". I don't have pricing worked out on the dual pump kit, but our hardware was built for this option.

I'm going to go ahead and install a 38 gallon bronco tank where my rear tank is and I have that on hand now, so I am looking for some guidance.
This is good, it eliminates the need for the selector valve and frees up space under the truck (when you remove the stock front tank).

Also, do the stock lines that run from the tank up to the motor stay or do you strip all that out?
The stock supply line is no longer used and can be removed. The stock return line is optional at this point. We generally tie in and use the stock return line on the frame, and just run a jumper hose from the metal line back near the selector valve to the fuel tank. You could easily eliminate the entire stock return line and run a fresh one if you wanted to though.

also, do you have the install instructions posted on the site somewhere, I thought I saw them before, but I'm not seeing them now.
Install instructions for the Regulated Return are located here:
http://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-OBSRegKit-Manual.pdf

I don't have the COMPLETE FUEL SYSTEM or RACE FUEL SYSTEM instructions written yet, I've had no time to work on them (or the rest of my list of documentation changes). The closest thing I've got right now is everything that's covered in the E-Fuel System FAQ located here:
http://www.strictlydiesel.com/Product_Docs/Driven/Driven-73FS-OBS-FuelSystemTips.pdf

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

ghohouston

Reaction score
A healthy super duty fuel pump will hold 238/100's just fine. Ill agree there are better setups, but many people, including myself, have ran 238/100's or bigger on a single, stock sd pump, and held pressure just fine. Running dual stockers has a few good aspects. If one fails, you have another you can drive home with. You have more fuel volume, and can maintain fuel pressure easier at w.o.t.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Perhaps a brand new pump can keep up for a while but that hasn't been my experience. My 00 is running a stock SD pump fed by a AirDog 100 and still drops to 40 psi at WOT with 238/100's.

zilla68

Reaction score
I've seen pressure drop problems with a single stock pump and small(ish) single shots.

So is the difference between the 2 kits basically the fuel lab pump or the stocker? I see those fuel lab pumps are pricey by them selves so that would explain the cost difference. Everything else the same?

what's the warranty on the fuel lab pumps?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Difference is more than just the pump. The Fuelab pump requires 5/8" suction side hose and fittings and 5/8" pickup in the tank (which is why the selector valve has to go). The larger hose and fittings are more expensive than the 3/8" stuff. Fuelab pump warranty is 2 years.

zilla68

Reaction score
sorry for all the questions dennis, but thanks for taking the time to answer.

on the 5/8" pick up tube, how does that install? weld in?

zilla68

Reaction score
quick question dennis,
IF the fuel lab pump was to fail, could a stock pump be temporarily installed in its place to get home, or is the dual pump set up a better option.
I don't want to be stranded with a pump and not have access to something that would keep me on the road.
thanks for your help.

ghohouston

Reaction score
If youre worried about it failing and ability to find one at a parts store, i'd stick with dual sd pumps. but fuel lab pumps are supposed to be pretty damn good.

zilla68

Reaction score
its not that I go anywhere very often, but I'd sure hate to be stranded with no way to band aid it.
hell it would probably go bad from not being used before ever wearing it out!

Baker42

Reaction score
Ditto on the SD pumps
I have an Irate diesel OBS fuel system and it runs a walbro gsl392
It holds a steady 65 psi and I have over 25000 miles on it. I might buy a spare to keep in the glovebox just in case. You can run a 5/8 line but the inlet at the heads is only 1/2 so its still "choked down":pint:

zilla68

Reaction score
Dennis, do you happen to remember where the obs race set up mounts on the frame?

I removed my forward tank today and was trying some different spots and the plates don't seem to fit where I think they should be, which is inbetween the 2 cross members, it looks like that might be the spot for it, but the top hits the crossmembers.

also, where does the oil pressure guage mount, I read your attached copies and I don't think it said where to put it, it shows a pic though and I didn't recognize where its at.

without directions, its been really pretty easy putting it all together just off the pictures, thanks for the good detailed pics on your site as they really help.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Chris,

The kit was designed to go FORWARD of the stock tank, and yes, it will fit between FRAME cross members. The only fitment issues we've seen are trucks with badly sagging body mounts, which will make the top of the bracket contact the bottom of the body/bed. If your bracket is hitting the bottom of the truck and is between the frame cross members, your options are to replace the mounts or to lightly dent the floor. I've made that bracket as low profile as I can.

I assume you mean the oil pressure switch, use Figure 10 in this document to help you locate where it goes. This picture is showing the back of the engine, on the drivers side. The switch goes in behind the oil filter header, right below the up-pipe flange.

I'm still working on the detailed instructions...not enough hours in a day!

FWIW, please feel free to call me if you have any questions. You are likely to get answers much faster that way (unless it's a weekend). We are here M-F, 7a-6p MST...and I'm almost always here during those hours.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.