aftermarket intercooler

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Would definitely love to see if an aftermarket ic would change temps. My stock one has seen 100+ psi and is still going strong lol

jdgleason

Reaction score
Is anyone running the intercooler with stock radiator? Seen awhile back where they were saying it may cause truck to run warm from the size blocking air. I believe most of you are running the radiator also so was wondering cause I have the stock one.

I am... and honestly, it seems that my coolant temps drop faster.

It used to be that I could park my truck and let it idle for a bit and coolant temps would drop from 199-196 or so... now it seems that they drop to 192 in the same amount of time.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Please explain??

I was pushing coolant with just a tune... I'm sure towing, 71 and tunes also has a risk of pushing coolant.

PLENTY of other people have pushed coolant with tunes only also. Not saying it will happen, but it certainly can, don't want to fool anyone into thinking these are bulletproof.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
I was pushing coolant with just a tune... I'm sure towing, 71 and tunes also has a risk of pushing coolant.

PLENTY of other people have pushed coolant with tunes only also. Not saying it will happen, but it certainly can, don't want to fool anyone into thinking these are bulletproof.

Thinking what are bulletproof?? its not like you have to tow on a race tune...

a drop in 71 will actually HELP you when towing as it keeps the temps a lot cooler.

not sure why you are telling people not to do something when you haven't done it yourself?!

on edit: i do agree with you on one thing...the OP has spartan tuning. i would greatly recommend custom tunes from gearhead if he wants his trans and head gaskets to live...

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Noticed at least a 100* drop in EGT's by dropping in an alradco intercooler into a customers truck that went cross country and back towing. I believe it was more then that but I wanted to guess conservatively.

strokin08

Reaction score
If people are seeing a 100 to 200 degree decrease in heat from intercooler alone then it seems to be worth it plus the look factor. Y'all talking about the 71 makes me wanna do it to but I believe intercooler will be first I can put it on without throwing a wrench I hope lol. I was gonna go bigger on the atmospheric side when I was on here before when it just started coming out and wasn't a lot of data on it. And yes I'm studded and when we went in I left valve train stock and dont wanna touch it again if I can help it thats why I wanted to know my stock ones would be fine with it. How much for that no limit intake? Sorry dont know how to reply to quote with phone.

alradco

Reaction score
And how much for alradco intercooler? Will y'all be having a sale on them anytime soon? Thanks for the help

Right now Alradco intercooler is $1089 with free shipping.
We will be having a Veterans Day Sale next month

B585Ford

Reaction score
OP,
With a 71 and stock VGT with all the other usual air mods, my EBP would get too high for my comfort on a race tune. I got a hand shaker so I don't have to worry about the tranny but my guess would be if you drop the hammer enough the tranny might not stay real happy but I will let the auto guys comment on that.
I also have a stock radiator (I have an Alradco sitting in the garage patiently waiting for the stocker to spring a leak) with a Speraco IC. I've grosser over 30k several times in the eastern mountains without significant temp issues although they do get a little higher than Powerstroked08's.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I was the one that had questions on an increase in coolant temps with an aftermarket intercooler.
I have one of No Limit intercoolers and the thing is HUGE. After seeing pictures of the other ones I have came to a conclusion on why my coolant temps increased some while towing. Not a lot but it is a few degrees. Towing with the dry air we have in Ca Central Valley the lowest coolant temp I have seen after the truck heats up while cruising on flat ground is 198 range (I have a 450 with 4.88 gears so RPM is a little higher than most and RPM plays more of a factor than tune on ECT and EOT) and that is when its 60 degrees out. Humidity plays a role also so take that into account also.
If I remember right stock thermostats are 192 and 203. So running at 198 the thermostat is barely open. They both are not wide open till 223. My truck does not get much above the 225 when the fans come on so the cooling system works great. Been flushed, coolant filter and replaced the thermostats.

Before I say anything else, the intercooler works great and I love it. Cant really say how much of a drop, but it was significant. Tow Tune grossing 28000 range I have to really try to get the EGT's above 1050. The only way is to slow down let the truck downshift and have the RPM's up and holding 35-40 PSI while climbing 6% plus hills for 5 plus miles.
My next is a drop in atmosphere turbo.

Now onto my reason.
If you look at pics of other intercoolers and compare to a no limit you will notice a size difference. My Bumper is moved down as low in the slots as I can get it and the intercooler close, this is with the wire loom moved off the bumper also. Much higher the intercooler would hit the hood when closed. The intercooler does not slope on the bottom or top, it is flat. The only side of the ac condenser that gets clean air is the passenger side about the same amount as the with the stock intercooler. So not much room for clean unheated air. With that much surface area removing heat, the air behind it is hotter than ambient, something has to occur. The only way I see too nut have this occur, drop in turbo so the incoming air is not as hot.

GotStroke

Reaction score
Before I had the Alradco intercooler in I would see anywhere from 203-207 oil temp at highways speeds at 1900-2200 ish RPMS 68-72 MPH (4.10 swapped in with a truetrac) and coolant would be 195-199 unloaded. And to be honest I did not notice a difference between before and after. The EGTs were between 110 and 180 cooler but the oil and coolant temp I did not notice a jump in temps if any maybe 1-2 but that could have been foot related from testing the EGT drop. I've got to get in it pretty good to break 800 only time I've seen 1000+(1058) was when I had my 42' x13'x9' 18K gross toy hauler pulling a +4% grade and I let it shift into OD accelerating up the hill from a stop. But as soon as I got it to downshift it dropped to 780 quick and dropped from there. I was also concerned that the coolant and oil temps might go up with the addition of the intercooler while towing but there has been no noticeable increase in coolant or oil temperature. And I've done quite a bit of towing to see if the 4.10s would be enough for the truck to handle my trailer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414201176.284004.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414201227.032469.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414201248.282357.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414201272.749489.jpg

strokin08

Reaction score
So do you think from your truck that 71 is gonna be pushing the stock valve train. A lot of y'all are telling me stuff and y'all know a lot more than me I just dont wanna do anything I regret and hurting something. Tranny yeah depends on foot whether or not it lives. I'm easy on truck other than towing when I have to push it up steep hills and thats why I was looking for something to cool things a little more. Intercooler will probably be something from Y'alls test running them.

strokin08

Reaction score
That was to B585Ford dont know how to reply back stupid phone. Nice truck GotStroke seems you work your truck like me.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Do not compare your temps to someone with an aftermarket turbo(s). These trucks need more efficient air. Throw an atmosphere if you want the biggest drop.

B585Ford

Reaction score
So do you think from your truck that 71 is gonna be pushing the stock valve train. A lot of y'all are telling me stuff and y'all know a lot more than me I just dont wanna do anything I regret and hurting something. Tranny yeah depends on foot whether or not it lives. I'm easy on truck other than towing when I have to push it up steep hills and thats why I was looking for something to cool things a little more. Intercooler will probably be something from Y'alls test running them.

No I don't think so unless you are h#ll bent on running race tunes at keeping your foot to the floor. I am still on a stock valvetrain even with my new setup. I had 36k with the 71. I never had an issue when towing with EBPs cause I wasn't running a race tune. Just wanted you to be aware that you would need to monitor EBP with a 71 if you are running a race tune and putting the pedal to the floor.
IMO Morgan nailed it on the head. Personally I am really impressed with Alradco as a company so that would be my IC of choice at this time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online