Is there a better injector o-ring fix

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I park my trailer and shut off the motor to finish unloading it. I go to restart the motor and I was met with an extended crank when hot. I thought that possibly the IPR o-rings were damaged. I continued to drive my truck for the week. When cold, the motor started instantly but when hot, there was an extended crank. As time progressed, then the motor would have an extended crank when cold but it would start. When the motor started, it ran fine....no smoke, full power.

Until two days ago, the motor would not start. ICP pressure would get up to 400 range and go no further. So I had a set of IPR o-rings and decided to change them. I pull out the IPR, everything was fine. So I changed the o-rings anyway. Try to start the motor...nothing; no ICP over 400. I was able to start the motor by shooting it with ether. Yea I know, I don't like it either.

I bring it by my diesel mechanic buddy. He isolates the HPOP from the heads and installed a manual gauge. With the banks isolated, the driver side was building no pressure and the passenger side was building over 1500 ICP.

So we take the driver side valve cover off. He plumbs and air source into the HPOP fitting on the head. To determine which injector, he pressurizes the rail with shop air. Find that #2 injector was leaking. We pull that injector and find this:

20140926_1746501_zpsd21beb9f.jpg

I was expecting that the top o-ring was gone. I show him the injector and he says that all of the orings he replaces, they are cut in the same area by the metal ring parting line. I start removing the o-rings and he tells me not to remove the metal ring. He started doubling up on the metal rings to give a tighter fit. The metal ring gaps are set 180* apart. He also stated that he is finding with higher mileage motors, that a groove is developing in the injector bore resulting in cut orings. My injector bores were fine.

So I replace the orings and put the injector back in. Re-pressurize the HPOP rail and find that #8 is now leaking. I pull #8 out and find that the top orings are also cut. Since 50% of the orings were replaced on the driver side bank, I pull out the rest of the injectors. Oh yea, I had reservations at Ruth's Chris with the gf for her birthday and she kept calling if I was going to make it. I pull #2 and #6 and find this:

20140926_1831371_zpsf8f3eecf.jpg

20140926_1833481_zps4d75252e.jpg

I try to figure out why things fail and look for a cure if possible. What bothers me is why the square oring which is by the metal ring, gets cut. With all three rings installed, there is play. With the double metal rings, there is no play and the injector has a tighter fit.

I installed the injectors this past December. The truck is not raced, it's just daily driver/tow vehicle. With both top orings cut, I had no evidence on the ScanGauge (reading ICP and ICP%) that the orings were cut.

I am going to replace the passenger side for good measure this coming week. The orings I used are from International.

I know that orings go bad but is this going to be a common problem? This NO reflection on the injector builder or tuner.

I had to move the reservation one hour later which she didn't have an issue with. She was happy in the end; that's what mattered the most.

Thoughts/discuss?

Billy T.
[email protected]

co04cobra

Reaction score
How many miles on those orings? Were those the same ones that came with the injectors?

Reaction score
The same exact thing happened to me a few months back. Every top o ring was torn on all 8 injectors. I probably had 5k on the injector Orings.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that there is an oring kit out there that includes two metal rings.

If you purchase the International oring kit, it sometimes comes with a stainless crush washer which is not correct for brass injector cups. You need to use copper washers with brass injector cups. The copper washers are available seperately if needed.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
Reviewed my records.

Injectors installed 1/24/2014. I have since driven 10k miles.

Yes, the o-rings are the same ones that came with the injectors.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yep. Sounds about right.....not going to go into right now. But I would do motorcraft O-rings and I'll bet you won't have these problems again in such a short time.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had the same issue with orings I installed in June of 13. Went to international, got eight sets. Changed them all. Three months later, lost the ones on pass side rear injector. Lost another set on the same side. My truck would die too.

Im pulling injectors today, and I expect to find a bad pair on the pass side.

I ran two, thats right, two sets of orings from new in 00 until 09. 250k miles. Now Ive had oring failures left and right since then. I lost a set on a new injector two.months ago. I got injectors from Tim@PIS, which isnt his issue really, but the orings are garbage lately. I get alliants and whatever international gets. Im noticing allaint stuff saying "made in China" in the last two years. :(

The death of the 7.3 might be aftermarket support related. Cps are getting hard to come by in working fashion now too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yep. Sounds about right.....not going to go into right now. But I would do motorcraft O-rings and I'll bet you won't have these problems again in such a short time.

You think Tim Smith is using cheap orings?

gnxtc2

Reaction score

What makes the Motorcraft ones different? I thought Ford repackages Int'l stuff which is probably from Alliant Power?

This is going to get interesting.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
CM-5010 motorcraft O-rings. That could be on the international repackage I've never tried them. I don't have one close to me so I stick to motorcraft.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not necessarily true that ford repackages int'l parts.

Cps are different. I havent bought orings from ford lately. Int'l(alliant) is.hitting me for $8 per set and ford is $21. :eek:

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Its not necessarily true that ford repackages int'l parts.

Cps are different. I havent bought orings from ford lately. Int'l(alliant) is.hitting me for $8 per set and ford is $21. :eek:

Worth looking into. I'd pay the $21 if I thought it would save me grief in the long run. FWIW I've got ~25000km on my injectors since install and I'm certain I've got a couple of torn orings

co04cobra

Reaction score
I get a good deal on motorcraft parts. I will double check my cost on Monday and post back up what I can sell a kit to you guys for.

wiseguy

Reaction score
Parker Hannifin Corporation makes the o rings for alliant power and motorcraft . Havent seen any in a few years but they also supplied international last I knew. Normally I only see o ring failure on cheap over seas kits the last generation oring normally outlasts the injector??

Reaction score
My o rings were bought in 10/13 and were Alliant. I resealed the injectors with motor craft o rings which I paid 12$ a pack for from my local dealer.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Those that purchased from us and had this problem we have been aware and are trying our best to correct the issue. This was a vendor poor QC issue that we unfortunately did not show itself until the final product made it to the hands of our customers.

We have since switched solely to Alliant Power brand o rings for all future use. We had used the same supplier since 2005 with no prior issues. Unfortunately things do happen in the manufacturing business. This was completely out of our control, but we are doing everything we can within reason to correct this. All the sets have been replaced that we are aware of with new Alliant Power brand o rings. The best advice I can give to anyone regardless of being our customer or someone else's, REPLACE the metal ring!

Unfortunately the vendor has not helped much in this situation and we believe the metal ring is the root of the issue. Not exactly an o ring material issue.

This was a batch that we have pretty well isolated the sale dates on and I do believe everyone that has had this issue has contacted us. Billy I believe you spoke to David on Friday. He should have a set of o rings headed your way.

I personally apologize for any inconvenience anyone has had. This has definitely been a major pita and not a cheap one at that for anyone. We (P.I.S.) have always strived to offer the best product available to the market. This has been a stain on a very good record we have keep. Customer service is only second in my book to product quality.

If by chance you have had this issue and have not spoken to us please feel free to PM, email or call us.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Those that purchased from us and had this problem we have been aware and are trying our best to correct the issue. This was a vendor poor QC issue that we unfortunately did not show itself until the final product made it to the hands of our customers.

We have since switched solely to Alliant Power brand o rings for all future use. We had used the same supplier since 2005 with no prior issues. Unfortunately things do happen in the manufacturing business. This was completely out of our control, but we are doing everything we can within reason to correct this. All the sets have been replaced that we are aware of with new Alliant Power brand o rings. The best advice I can give to anyone regardless of being our customer or someone else's, REPLACE the metal ring!

Unfortunately the vendor has not helped much in this situation and we believe the metal ring is the root of the issue. Not exactly an o ring material issue.

This was a batch that we have pretty well isolated the sale dates on and I do believe everyone that has had this issue has contacted us. Billy I believe you spoke to David on Friday. He should have a set of o rings headed your way.

I personally apologize for any inconvenience anyone has had. This has definitely been a major pita and not a cheap one at that for anyone. We (P.I.S.) have always strived to offer the best product available to the market. This has been a stain on a very good record we have keep. Customer service is only second in my book to product quality.

If by chance you have had this issue and have not spoken to us please feel free to PM, email or call us.

Thanks

When I doubled up the metal ring, I left the old metal ring in and added an additional metal ring from the International kit. Do I need to go back in and removed the "bad" ring? If I need to pull the injectors to remove the bad ring, do I have to replace the orings again?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Thanks

When I doubled up the metal ring, I left the old metal ring in and added an additional metal ring from the International kit. Do I need to go back in and removed the "bad" ring? If I need to pull the injectors to remove the bad ring, do I have to replace the orings again?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Honestly I can not tell you that will work 100%. If the new metal ring is touching the square ring I would think it would be ok.

Latest posts

Members online