Firewall access 97 crew cab

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question about running some wiring for my isspro gauges into the cab. I have a 97 f350 crew cab 2wd with a 5 spd. I have been using a few gauge install threads as reference and im at the point of running some wires into the cab. It seems then threads i have been watching are all for automatic trucks which seem to have a grommet in the firewall for wiring. I looked on my truck and I dont have any predrilled holes in the firewall to pass wires through. I have heard the 5 spd trucks have a weaker firewall because of how the clutch pedal mounts. So I wanted to ask what is my best option here for running my wiring into the cab? I can drill a hole in the firewall and put a grommet in to run the wires in, but just wanted to see if this is the best option or if anyone had a better idea.
Thanks

Reaction score
I drilled a hole and used a grommet on my 94. I think it was outboard of the brake booster IIRC. You can also look down low on the firewall/floor area for a "hole plug" that you could run them through as well. Cheers!

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
I ended up just making a small x cut in the steering shaft boot and slipping the wires through there. Still seals up pretty nice. Cant wait tonget these gauges finished. Just have to drill and tap for the egt probe, not looking forward to it. Thanks guys!

zilla68

Reaction score
I ended up just making a small x cut in the steering shaft boot and slipping the wires through there. Still seals up pretty nice. Cant wait tonget these gauges finished. Just have to drill and tap for the egt probe, not looking forward to it. Thanks guys!

that's what I did

Reaction score
I put my boost sensing line through the plastic plug that fills the throttle cable hole, and I ran the EGT probe wires up through the area that the park brake cable comes through. There is an empty grommet there. I also found a point in the right rear corner of the engine compartment that is very easy to run through one layer of the airbox and be inside the cab. I used this to run wires for the door switches for the AMP steps. I like to take a little time to find a way that looks factory. I also like to look at future service work, such as replacing a steering column, will I need to destroy my accessory wiring work to got it done.

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
I put my boost sensing line through the plastic plug that fills the throttle cable hole, and I ran the EGT probe wires up through the area that the park brake cable comes through. There is an empty grommet there. I also found a point in the right rear corner of the engine compartment that is very easy to run through one layer of the airbox and be inside the cab. I used this to run wires for the door switches for the AMP steps. I like to take a little time to find a way that looks factory. I also like to look at future service work, such as replacing a steering column, will I need to destroy my accessory wiring work to got it done.

Same here trying to make it as neat as possible. That way if I have any problems it should be easier to go back and find the problem, plus I cant stand messy wiring. Have had these gauges on my bench for a month now so hopefully they will be in soon. Normally they would have been in the first day, but my wife and I just had our first baby so its an hour one day and maybe and hour two days later that I get to play haha.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
All these obs trucks have a hole pre-drilled in the firewall with a rubber plug in it. I used a step drill lol. It's on the L/H side around the brake reservoir.

Latest posts

Members online