Exhaust Brake

B585Ford

Reaction score
do you have your vane control maximum cranked up in those ranges?

Also, I've seen some tunes with people setting vane control at 0 and 100. I don't know if the 6.4 is the same way, but back when I had a 6.0 style VNT turbo on my Dodge, Fleece recommended using 2-3 as "0" and 95-97 as "100" so as not to peg out the solenoid. Don't know if this holds true for the 6.4's VNT controller

No, I left them at the default setting initially. After doing the initial tests, I found that I wanted a little more braking in the 1600-2000RPM range so I made modest changes to the vanes to get it to my liking. I now have made 2 different EBP programs suited to fit how I will be driving. One of them really doesn't kick in till about 2200 RPMs and no vane adjustments (it is my DD tune and only provides moderate braking) and the other is for when I will be towing really heavy. That one starts kicking in about 1600. It is mild at first and then when I get to 2200, I adjusted the vanes so that I would get the max EBPs to 50. Without adjusting the vanes, I have found I can't usually get it to 50. I still need to test these some more to confirm it is working how I wanted it to, but it does appear by adjusting the vanes I can get much closer to 50. I don't tow much in the Winter so I haven't really had the chance to try them out towing.

dieselpower

Reaction score
used this function on my 6oh, worked great but took it off cause it got kinda annoying. I'm sure if I towed a lot I would keep it on, it sounds great.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Very good info! Wish we had a roadmap for how the logic circle connects... desired back pressure vs. vane position vs. max vane position, etc.

No, I left them at the default setting initially. After doing the initial tests, I found that I wanted a little more braking in the 1600-2000RPM range so I made modest changes to the vanes to get it to my liking. I now have made 2 different EBP programs suited to fit how I will be driving. One of them really doesn't kick in till about 2200 RPMs and no vane adjustments (it is my DD tune and only provides moderate braking) and the other is for when I will be towing really heavy. That one starts kicking in about 1600. It is mild at first and then when I get to 2200, I adjusted the vanes so that I would get the max EBPs to 50. Without adjusting the vanes, I have found I can't usually get it to 50. I still need to test these some more to confirm it is working how I wanted it to, but it does appear by adjusting the vanes I can get much closer to 50. I don't tow much in the Winter so I haven't really had the chance to try them out towing.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Very good info! Wish we had a roadmap for how the logic circle connects... desired back pressure vs. vane position vs. max vane position, etc.

Since I messed with Vane tables for a different reason and I have tried a number of configurations for the exh brake, here is my estimate as to how it works. Desired back pressure is what the truck shoots for (it is table computer gives priority to), but if it is unable to reach the desired back pressure then it will follow the vane tables. My assumption is max is just that whereas the other vane tables is where it wants them to be at under "normal" conditions (I still haven't confirmed that yet). The reason I think Desired Back Pressure is the main table the computer tries to follow is that on my first attempt at making the exh brake, I ONLY adjusted the vane tables with NO changes to Desired Back Pressure. That didn't do anything at all. Then I tried to adjusting Back Pressure tables and it worked, but I couldn't usually get my Back Pressure to the desired number (I couldn't get EBP to 50). Then I tried adjusting vanes in conjunction with a Desired Exh Back Pressure and seem to be able to get the Back Pressures higher. It would be nice to have a DD for monitoring so I could see what the duty cycle is. That would help a lot in confirming what I think is happening.

Finally, of course, for my programs it is really hopefully I have a hand shaker so I can get the truck at what RPM I want it at to kick in the brake or not use it depending on if I need it.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I know this thread is a bit old... but great job on the idea and trail/error process that came with making this. I just bucked up and bought the unlock code from H&S for MCC to give this a shot and I love it. I'll be doing some more small expirements on adjusting it and trying to slowly learn to tune other areas of the engine/tranny.... but this is a great start and just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing your findings! :toast:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had my buddy try out the exhaust brake tune and he loved it. But I'm kinda curious as to if anyone else has ran it and what you think? The only thing I did different was I had his base file and made the tune for him. So if anybody would like I can do that for you if its easier. But I'm just trying to get some feed back on how you like/dislike the exhaust brake. Thanks guys!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Make modest changes on the EBP tables at certain RPMs at 0% throttle to start with.