Question about Running H&S HD tune & mini fuel additive question

TRUBBS

Reaction score
while waiting for my rockers to show up (should be here the 28th) im going to put my exhaust on and load my xrt onto the truck. was wondering if its safe to run the HD tune on the low setting
(if i remember right from when i loaded it on my buddies truck to make sure it worked, you could select the HD tunes then it has 3 power level options, is that how it is?)
truck is on 6" and 35's with 112k been all stock so i dont want to load the big boy tune and have it puke on me already or smoke the trans. thanks

also, Biggg Newbie question, what fuel additive is proven to be the best in the 6.4's? in the past ive always just ran 2stroke but with how sketchy 6.4 fuel systems are i dont want to risk having any major issues and exploding the HPFP.

thanks guys!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Yes, you can load the small tune in the HD tunes and still be pretty safe. IIRC it's like a 75hp tune or something like that.

I've been running opti lube xdp in mine and it seems to like it. Injectors are quiet, no decrease in mileage that I could tell. Actually I believe I got a little better.

sootie

Reaction score
just run the regular tunes not the HD until your truck is studded.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
think the HD tunes are that risky to run non studded?

i deleted it today and went for a quick spin on the "street" tune under HD's and was pretty imressed with how it ran. but dont want to blow Chit up

ckrueg

Reaction score
I ran the tow HD tune for 15k and my truck has 300k. I don't beat on it but I do some boosted launches and hammer on it once every couple days. Now I'm on the street tune and no problems in 5k miles.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I run spartan 310 late lock on my J2 dually as a DD and for the past 40,000 miles and i'm not easy on the truck either.

Truck got 94,000 miles and almost 5000 hours it even got the EGR coolers on the truck still yet LOL.

Truck still got factory blowby.

Not studded

No puking

Injector #4 STFT is outta whack though it sits at -19 at idle now while the others show -0.6-0.0. Truck doesn't throw injector or cylinder codes.

I wouldn't be worried on running higher tunes on head bolts just watch your egt's and other temps ie coolant,oil and trans) and don't gun it everywhere you go.

I also do oil change and fuel filters every 5-7K. OEM filters

Last edited:

08twinturbo

Reaction score
HD 300 tuning.
Street setting for every day use.
Stock or tow for towing heavy.
You will be fine. I got one customer I did at 100k. His truck is got over 300k now on the h&s street. In the hot damn files with s1l shifting. Has never changed it and tows a small bobcat. It's all in the user.

Also want to add my trucks don't come off of the 300 tune performance setting. But I drive easy unless provoked! And mine are not studded either.

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Reaction score
HD 300 tuning.
Street setting for every day use.
Stock or tow for towing heavy.
You will be fine. I got one customer I did at 100k. His truck is got over 300k now on the h&s street. In the hot damn files with s1l shifting. Has never changed it and tows a small bobcat. It's all in the user.

Also want to add my trucks don't come off of the 300 tune performance setting. But I drive easy unless provoked! And mine are not studded either.

when asked if i wanted to change shift tunning, I selected no, should i have changed it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.