Motor rebuild

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
So my motor ate a lifter and wiped the cam. My biggest question is would you guys be scared to reuse my block since the studs have been torqued 3 times? It's gonna be on stock fuel so stock internals besides pistons and I'm gonna do it myself since I'm poor. Is there any other things I should look into while I do this?

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think the guys at mpd had quite a few retorques on their blocks in the past. Run it. The way I see it you either spend the money on an unknown used block, or a new/remaned unknown block and risk it. Or you keep using what you have, and if it cracks, your back at option 1 anyway and you're only out the time/labor you put into it. If its been retorqued 3 times, you're probably safe. I think most have seen issues on the initial install or the 2nd retorque

Black AOD

Reaction score
^^^Well Said

My old block has had 3 sets of heads torqued 3 separate times I believe....UDP just now found lots of warpage on my block (too much to mill out) and are afraid to reuse the block again for fear of the 4th and new set of heads being torqued will crack the block...so maybe have a shop check the block if you can? Might be helpful

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If you're worried about the studs, the easy way to check them is on the block side threads look at the very first thread next to the stud shank. Measure the distance between the threads, if its the same on all threads and the last thread to shank the stud is not yielded and its good to reuse.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
If you're worried about the studs, the easy way to check them is on the block side threads look at the very first thread next to the stud shank. Measure the distance between the threads, if its the same on all threads and the last thread to shank the stud is not yielded and its good to reuse.[/QUOTE

I was thinking about new studs. But my biggest concern is cracking my block around a stud hole. It's had the heads torqued three times since it was studded.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If you're worried about the studs, the easy way to check them is on the block side threads look at the very first thread next to the stud shank. Measure the distance between the threads, if its the same on all threads and the last thread to shank the stud is not yielded and its good to reuse.[/QUOTE

I was thinking about new studs. But my biggest concern is cracking my block around a stud hole. It's had the heads torqued three times since it was studded.

Gotcha, nothing you can ready do but pray on that one. Maybe put a few miles on it and then do a coolant pressure test and see where it sits.

madman1234509

Reaction score
That's a good idea, like I said, if it comes back losing pressure, then he spends the money on another block that he would have done anyway If he was trying to be preventative. Don't fix something that isn't broken.

madman1234509

Reaction score
But if you decide to buy a block prevebtatively. I may be interested in buying your used one, depending on home any timesyouve milled the deck.

sootie

Reaction score
Robbie, call Morgan and get him to tell you exactly how to torque the studs. His formula works-if your block isn't cracked yet, you should be fine. Definitely invest in some new studs though...

sootie

Reaction score
The directions tell you how to do it too :p. It's not rocket science.

once you have cracked a couple blocks, you may think differently.

how do you know which revision instructions they are or what lube you have or if the lube matches the instructions etc...

i go by experience.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well, if you buy a new set of studs, it should have Its own lube and instructions that go with it. Don't get me wrong, Morgan knows his stuff, but I think the biggest thing is just follow the instructions and don't over torque them, that means, have the appropriate sized torque wrench, do not use an unknown one or rented one that's been used as a hammer and thrown around. Don't use a breaker bar with your too small of a wrench, etc...

sootie

Reaction score
Well, if you buy a new set of studs, it should have Its own lube and instructions that go with it. Don't get me wrong, Morgan knows his stuff, but I think the biggest thing is just follow the instructions and don't over torque them, that means, have the appropriate sized torque wrench, do not use an unknown one or rented one that's been used as a hammer and thrown around. Don't use a breaker bar with your too small of a wrench, etc...

great, in theory. i have cracked a block doing exactly what you just recommended....hence the reason i told Robbie what i did.

madman1234509

Reaction score
You used a calibrated torque wrench that will go to over 275ftlbs?

Sorry I'm not trying to be a di*k. But it seemed like the first 2 years I had a 6.4 it wasn't heard of to have cracked blocks. Then all of a sudden it came out of the wood work and got everyone scared. I'm just not sold that a lot of the issues could have been avoided or weren't caused by some sort of user error or uncalibrated tool/ too small of a wrench. Most average Joe's doing these things on their own aren't going to go out and buy a few hundred dollar torque wrench to do this one job.

Attachments

• 1395431609.jpg
    1395431609.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
my block was cracked with custom age studs. there is no rhyme or reason , some blocks crack.

madman1234509

Reaction score
If it didn't do it on the 2nd or 3rd torque probably got a good block. Custom age studs probably apply more force to the block as well, but who knows.

Like I said in the beginning of the thread. You're kind of at a dilema. You either spend $$$ on a new block and cut your losses with the old one. With the possibility that your current block is perfectly fine. And possibly try to sell it, but not sure what it'd be worth if people would be concerned like you are. Or run this one, and if it cracks you need to buy a block.

I personally wouldn't want to waste my time buying one unless mine was cracked because it's no garuntee the new one you get won't crack the first time you torque the heads down. Everyone saw what happened with Webb although he later found his torque wrench was f'd up.