Last Newbie Question for a minute, To Flush Trans or not?

TRUBBS

Reaction score
k sorry for killing you guys with all my newbie questions, just trying to help keep this 6.4 alive.

truck has 112K miles on it, should i have the trans powerflushed or just do a drain and fill with filter?

ive heard people go both ways on the flush so looking to see what most 6.4 guys are doing

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
k sorry for killing you guys with all my newbie questions, just trying to help keep this 6.4 alive.

truck has 112K miles on it, should i have the trans powerflushed or just do a drain and fill with filter?

ive heard people go both ways on the flush so looking to see what most 6.4 guys are doing

I take my truck's to ford to do hot flush.

I do it every 30,000 miles

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I take my truck's to ford to do hot flush.

I do it every 30,000 miles

whats different between a reg power flush and a "hot flush" got a good friend thats the DM for Jiffy lube here and he always takes good care of me so i was thinking of having him do a coolant flush and put green coolant back in, oil change and a trans flush.

lazlow

Reaction score
whats different between a reg power flush and a "hot flush" got a good friend thats the DM for Jiffy lube here and he always takes good care of me so i was thinking of having him do a coolant flush and put green coolant back in, oil change and a trans flush.

Dont use green coolant use an ELC coolant such as rotella elc or peak elc made for tractor trailers and bigger trucks. And a hot flush opens up the thermostat inside which lets all of the fluid get flushed inside the torque converter.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Dont use green coolant use an ELC coolant such as rotella elc or peak elc made for tractor trailers and bigger trucks. And a hot flush opens up the thermostat inside which lets all of the fluid get flushed inside the torque converter.

i thought i heard somewhere before where guys were saying that the ELC was part of the reason the oil coolers were clogging, guess that isnt the case?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
TRUBBS- You gotta change that avatar picture! Put the ol' 6.4 up there! I keep seeing that and thinking your a chevy guy:p And like said earlier do the coolant flush! Its a great thing to do for the enging and oil cooler. Rotella elc or something similar(I think its the CAT EC-1 rating you want) You can also benefit from adding a coolant filter(absolute performance has a nice setup) I did a really good (so I thought) coolant flush and put on my coolant filter. Well 10,000 miles later there was a bunch of sand in my filter still! All of that sand circulating around in there is hard on the water pump impellers among other things. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Reaction score
TRUBBS- You gotta change that avatar picture! Put the ol' 6.4 up there! I keep seeing that and thinking your a chevy guy:p And like said earlier do the coolant flush! Its a great thing to do for the enging and oil cooler. Rotella elc or something similar(I think its the CAT EC-1 rating you want) You can also benefit from adding a coolant filter(absolute performance has a nice setup) I did a really good (so I thought) coolant flush and put on my coolant filter. Well 10,000 miles later there was a bunch of sand in my filter still! All of that sand circulating around in there is hard on the water pump impellers among other things. Just something to think about.

Ill get a picture up soon enough, got to change a few things up first.

yeah i plan on doing a filter set up. thinking about just building my own tho instead. want to try and keep the oil cooler and front cover as happy as i can

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.